What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Rita... Here We Go Again (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I hope all of my HTF brothers in Texas made out ok, things are wrought here, three weeks later, I am back to work, without cable or cable internet (using an AOL disc!) waiting on my insurance companies to show and trying to start rebuilding a house that had 5.5ft of water and muck inside. It will take this area several years if not more to get over these storms.
But I suppose God does have a plan...at times like these, family is all that matters.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Dennis, that song has been running through my head for several days now... ;)

Looks like Houston/Galveston escaped major damage. A fire in Galveston consumed three buildings in the Strand, and one of walls of the restaurant called Yaga's collapsed. But that's the only major damage I'm hearing about.

Now we have to deal with the aftermath. Rita's headed up here to the Ark-La-Tex and they're expecting up to 20 inches of rain. The good news is this area's been suffering a drought this summer and can probably absorb the deluge with minimal flooding (the Red River is at a record low level).

The forecasters are still saying there's a good chance Rita will loop around in Arkansas and head back south to the coast in a few days. Only one model is predicting this; hopefully it's wrong.

Next step for me is figuring out when and how (which route) to get back.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

Gives new meaning to "Assult on the media"-for all you Opie & Anthony listeners.

Craig S. Glad you were okay. But sounds like the biggest problem yet to come is your drive home.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Houston Mayor Bill White and other officials are giving a new conference right now and telling evacuees to stay away until word is given to return. Of course, traffic is already backing up on I-10 from people trying to get back. This will only hinder emergency personnel & supplies from getting into the area. Also, water is still rising in the bayous, and power is out over most of the area.

If anyone knows any evacuees, please tell them to stay put.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Odd that Rita, headed toward Texas, has mainly caused damage to ... New Orleans.

Is there really NEW damage there? All I've heard about is some reflooding in areas that were already flooded, which isn't really damage.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
After some rough weather this morning, it's been releatively calm here in the Shreveport area the past couple of hours. But the center of TS Rita is headed right for us, so we're in store for 3-4 hours of really bad weather this afternoon. We'll probably lose power for awhile. At least this thing is now supposed to lift into Arkansas, as opposed to earlier where they thought it might stall right here.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey, don't diss the Chi'en, man! He went to my high school! Hunter in NYC, class of '87! I knew him well and jammed with him when he was trying to be a singer! :)
He was a good guy and a good reporter. Too bad those morons got to him that day.

:) d

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Hey Craig S,

Been following your odyssey throughout this thread. Glad to hear you are safe and hopefully will find everything undamaged when you finally get back home. I remember you telling the hair-raising story of the flooding from Allison and hope you are spared a repeat. Good luck!

Rob

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Well, I'm back home again, and other than a few wayward branches and leaves there appears to be no damage here.

I had turned off most of the electricity, although I left the AC & kitchen circuits (fridge) on. When I got back, I noticed my microwave (plugged into the same circuit as the fridge) was showing the correct time!! I don't think this area ever lost power!

The trip back was speedy all the way. The only difficulty was finding gas. There were only a few stations in Nacogdoches & Lufkin that had gas, and there were lines at all of them. Otherwise, smooth sailing.

Here's hoping my fellow Houstonians are having similar luck on their return.

Now, I'm looking at Weather Underground and see there's a disturbance south of Hispaniola that could develop and move into the Gulf by this weekend. :frowning: Let's just say not all the windows are getting unboarded right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks