What's new

RIP Chick Hearn (1 Viewer)

Christopher Chung

Stunt Coordinator
He will be greatly missed. Told the game how it was meant to be with his golden voice. At least he will not be suffering anymore. Truly a great loss.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
RIP to a great announcer, he'll be missed as a fixture on the LA sideline.

P.S. His last name doesn't have a "S" at the end.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Being a basketball fan, I had known the name of Chick Hearn, but never heard him call a game until 2 years ago. The past 2 years I had the NBA League Pass, and enjoyed hearing him call the games.

A while back, someone posted a list of the many b-ball terms Chick coined. It was amazing. He will be missed.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
By the way, here's a short list of Chick Hearn original sayings that everyone takes for granted these days and don't know that HE CAME UP WITH THESE TERMS in reference to a basketball game (not necessarily made up the term as used in normal English conversation):

1. Air ball
2. Attacking 47 feet
3. Blows the layup
4. Boo birds
5. Charity stripe
6. Cosmetic call (aka makeup call/Avon lady calling)
7. Didn't draw iron
8. Dribble drive
9. Finger roll
10. Fly swatted
11. Four point switch
12. Frozen rope
13. Garbage play
14. Garbage time
15. Give and go
16. Hanging him out to dry
17. He's human after all
18. Heartbreak (or heartbreaker)
19. Matador defense
20. Nervous time (crunch time)
21. No harm no foul
22. No-look pass
23. Popcorn machine (as in "Put him in...")
24. Slam dunk - no I'm not kidding, he coined the term
25. Telegraphs a pass
26. Throws up a brick
27. Throws up a prayer (and "answered" if shot is made)
28. They win the tip, that means they'll get the ball at the start of the 4th quarter
29. Ticky-tack foul
30. Tightrope act
31. Triple double
32. Using the rim as an ally (reverse layup using rim to prevent being blocked)
33. Yo-Yo'ing up and down (just dribbling out at the top of the key or on the perimeter)

And that's just a short list. Look on the web and you'll see plenty more.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Chick was one of my two favorite announcers, the other being Vin Scully. With them, it didn't matter how the Lakers or Dodgers were doing. It was simply a pleasure to hear their golden voices. Hell, it was once written that they could sell out an arena for the reading of the phone book.

Chick (and Vin) transcended the sport. The specials on TV tonight all point to the fact that attendance went up 40% in the year following Chick's first year broadcasting for the Lakers. L.A. was not a basketball town at all in '61. Wooden hadn't done his thing yet, and the Lakers were just whipping boys to the Celtics. Chick's "Word's Eye View" got people excited and interested about the games, and they came out to see the excitement that this man conveyed with such passion and pinpoint accuracy over the airwaves. He is very much responsible for a large part of the Laker franchise's success in Los Angeles. Former GM Jerry West, current GM Mitch Kupchak and all the former and current Laker greats know and acknowledge this. He was not just a broadcaster. He was the voice, the heart, and the soul of the Lakers and their fans. I cannot count the number of times I watched a nationally televised Laker game and shut off the TV audio so I could get Chick on the simulcast.

I can't begin to describe how hard this has been for me and my girlfriend, who have shared many moments with Chick listening to him tell us about a game and a team that we all loved. He will be missed. My thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends.

DanaA

Screenwriter
When I was a little kid, I got interested in sports listening Chick Hearn and Vin Scully on radio. That was the time of Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Jerry West, and Elgin Baylor. They remain my favorite announcers. I would hear Chick say, in his inimitable way, "He faked him into the popcorn machine." To be honest, who could have imagined he would last into the 21st century and still be an amazing announcer and individual. I like in the Northern California area now and the radio guys up here mentioned earlier this year how, after all these years, he still spent more time than any of them preparing for a game and how he'd always spend time giving tips to the younger broadcasters. He really loved the game and the game will miss and remember him forever.

Rest in peace Chick. Love ya

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to hear about Chick's passing. He was a great announcer and lived a long and productive life. RIP.

P.S. Don't forget:

"The mustard's off the hot dog!"

Denward

Supporting Actor
I grew up in L.A. and my family spent many evenings with Chick and Vin calling games in the background as we went about our daily business. Their voices are the soundtrack of my childhood. It was always a big treat when the Lakers and Dodgers were actually on TV, but listening to Chick and Vin on the radio was what made me a fan.:frowning:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
:frowning: This is terrible news. I lived in Southern California from 1981 to 1985 and became a Laker fan in '81, when I was 11 years old. Even at that age, I developed an appreciation for Hearn's personality and style. He brought so much to the game. What a huge loss. Thanks for everything, Chick. You will be missed. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks