What's new

Return to Snowy River out on April 22nd (1 Viewer)

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw this on Amazon today and was very pleased to see it. It lists at $22.99, which seems a bit on the spendy side, but maybe it will have some good supplements. I just hope it is OAR. Amazon did not have many specs.

I enjoyed this almost as much as the first one, though I missed Kirk Douglas.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
According to Disney, it is NOT OAR. And OAR is 2.35:1...same for Tom and Huck and Operation Dumbo Drop (coming in May). Really sucks.

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
Very disappointing...I don't suppose there's any chance that this is just some April Fool's joke?

Will K

Screenwriter
No Kirk Douglas(sorry, Brian Dennehy is a poor substitution) AND pan & scan? Screw that.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Fox released a very nice DVD of the original THE MAN FROM SNOWY RIVER, which contains both the OAR (anamorphic 2.35:1) and a P&S version. The original MSRP was $19.95, it was reduced to $14.95 on March 11.

Disney, on the other hand, will soon release the sequel at a higher MSRP of $22.98, and if the above is true, not in OAR.

What is wrong with this picture?

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
It lists at $22.99, which seems a bit on the spendy side, but maybe it will have some good supplements.
As far as I can tell, there won't be any supplements either. This Movie Showcase line Disney is doing sucks the big one.

2.35:1 movies that were widescreen on laserdisc in Pan & Scan on DVD? It's just so appalling. I really wanted to get "Tom and Huck", but why would I buy just 55% of the movie?

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I sent Disney an e-mail to complain about this being P&S and received the following reply:

We have not received the technical information for RETURN TO SNOWY RIVER at this time.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns with us. Your views are important to us. We appreciate hearing the opinions of our viewers, and we will forward your comments to our Marketing Department.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us. Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you have questions concerning our videos and DVD's, or if you would like to purchase one of our movies.

You may contact us by e-mail or by calling 800 723-4763 or our Canadian toll-free number 888 877-2843.

Regards,

BVHE Consumer Relations
Maybe there's still hope they'll do this right. And why the heck would their web site say it's full screen if the technical information isn't available yet?

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Maybe there's still hope they'll do this right. And why the heck would their web site say it's full screen if the technical information isn't available yet?
Their website has been wrong in the past. Unfortunately, it correctly stated that all of March 4's releases would be Fullscreen long in advance. I sure hope the website is wrong, but I fear it's correct. I'm more skeptical of the e-mail reply. :frowning:

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Amazon.com still lists it for Tuesday 4/22, as do Barnes & Noble, Bestbuy.com and Overstock.com. No aspect ratio details anywhere I've seen.

DVDempire.com and DVDplanet.com often have front and back graphics close to street date, but I can't find this DVD at all at either place. It's also not listed at dvdpricesearch.com. (EDIT - It was added Monday, 4/21) Also not shown at thedigitalbits.com upcoming cover art or the davisdvd.com release calendar for this week.

Very strange. I'd think that perhaps it was delayed or cancelled but a few retailers still haven't caught up. But Disney's site still says that it is 1.33:1, is "currently for sale" and it shows 4/22 on their release calendar.

Richard_M

Second Unit
Is this only going to be R1 release like The Man From Snowy River, or world wide release?

I assume because its disney this time it may be world wide, but I can't find any reference to it here on the oz dvd sites.

Will K

Screenwriter
This seems to be a very elusive AR case. I know from the past Disney's website can't always be trusted, then again they have been panning-and-scanning some 2.35:1 films on DVD. My gut tells me this is sadly true in this case. Bloody Di$ney Ba$tards.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Has anyone seen this DVD in stores yet? If you do, please check the cover and see what it says about AR and report here.

I'm still befuddled by the fact that the two e-tailiers that routinely show back cover scans on their website (DVDEmpire and DVDPlanet) do not even have this DVD at all (at least that I can find with a search). They usually carry almost everything, and this Disney title is not all that obscure.

Anybody know of any other places that have back cover scans?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks