What's new

Replacing a Yamaha RX-V795a, have a question (1 Viewer)

txbonds

Agent
Real Name
Greg
I'm wanting to spend as little as possible to get as much as possible. ;) I bought this receiver new back in the late 90's I think. It's a 5.1 yammy and has served my needs just fine all these years. The only real reason I'm wanting to upgrade is to have integrated hdmi and decent upconversion to 1080p hdmi.

As it stands now, I have a 40" 1080p bravia for display, digital cable with box but not hd cable, and a nice but older toshiba progressive dvd (720p). I have Definative Technology speakers, that have 5 satellites and a powered sub. For 7.1, I'll probably end up adding some in wall surrounds for the extra two speakers, with the possible plan to eventually have all in wall speakers except the sub.

My wish is to make the current products simpler to operate by using a single hdmi input to tv, and to have the receiver that will serve my simple needs for another 10 year term. I foresee that I may go to hd cable and may get a newer dvd player one day, but probably not right away.

I've been studying and looking at the following receivers so far:

Yamaha RX-V765 (current day version of my yamaha I think)
Marantz SR5003 Refurbished
Harmon Kardon AVR254
Onkyo 707

Dollar for dollar, the refurbished marantz looks like the best deal to meet my basic needs now and give me some future proofing giving my probable future needs. Anyone agree or disagree, or have another alternative in the same ball park I should look at? The refurbished marantz is under $500.

Thanks in advance.

PS - Looking more this morning, I see that the following are priced pretty close in refurbished format:
Marantz SR5003
Onkyo TX-SR706

Onkyo TX-SR806

Onkyo TX-SR707

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Onkyo's have more features than H/K and Marantz but Marantz has a has a very loyal following and is one of my favorites. H/K also has it's fans (I've owned a 520 for many years) but quality has been suspect for a while. Hopefully they've sorted things out. But at that price range Onkyo, especially the refurbs from ac4l.com are real hard to beat.

And Yamaha has also been a very good receiver for many years but they, like some others (including Onkyo) have substituted features for high quality in some of their receivers. They are all trying to keep up with each other. Something has to give.

Botch

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Boettcher
Yamaha RX-V765 (current day version of my yamaha I think)
I have one of these on order, should be arriving any day. It will be replacing my Yammie CA-810 integrated amp, which I bought new in... 1979! Its been in the shop twice to replace meter bulbs, otherwise completely reliable.
I almost went with the RX-V665, til I read that its amp section used a cheaper Sanyo assembly (I guess like Gene above mentioned), but the 765 is supposed to be well-built.

I've bought three "refurbished" items over the years, never again. They all had something "sorta" wrong with them, like a scraping drawer, or a funny buzz, but never anything you could return it for under warranty. My time is worth more than that... :angry: Just my 2 scents worth...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks