What's new

Replacement 15 inch driver (1 Viewer)

Michael Gdwn

Agent
I need a good 15 inch driver for around say 100-150, possibly could go a little more. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have a 200 watt amp and a Audiosource 15 box that has sound dampening sheets and pollyfill on the inside. It will be used both for home theater and music.

Thanks

Michael

Dimensions 26" H x 20" W x 23" L

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
What size is the Audiosource inside? There are several good 15's for that price range like the Adire Tempest and Dayton DVC but we need to know the internal dimensions to provide a more accurate suggestion.

Michael Gdwn

Agent
Dimensions 26" H x 20" W x 23" L

Basically a big box with side walls halfway down that chut out about 1 1/2 inch.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Michael,

Are those the internal or external dimensions? If external, how thick are the walls of the box?

Brian

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
You sure, I did a search and everything I found says it is 21.5"H x 16"W x 19"D. Which assuming 1/2" MDF or partical board construction means it has ~90L internal volume. Little small for either the Tempest or Dayton.
If your dimensions are right, you plug the ports and stuff that sucker with 1.5lbs of polyfill for every cubic foot of space inside it, except for the enclosure flexing and the poor amp a Tempest or Dayton DVC should work.
If my dimensions are right, then if you do the same you'll have a fairly high Q sealed sub. Might have a little more output but that would be it.
In either case, I wouldn't keep those ports open, they will tune that enclosure way too high.
The 3rd review on AudioReview.com was a hoot to read.
http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_119081_2741crx.aspx
But thanks to him I can post this pic which is quite telling (looks like 1/2" partical board to me with minimal bracing). The polyfill and matting on the inside was added by the guy who took the pictures. Claimes the mods make it as good as any $500 sub out there :p)

Michael Gdwn

Agent
How is it that you plug the ports? Just throw some poly fill in there? Also...are you sure about that much polyfill in the speaker? For 90 liters I calculated 4.5 pounds worth according to your chart. THAT IS ALOT!!

Secondly, will those subs really get to 16hz and 20hz with only 200 watts of power? Because that would be great. Are they fast? The reason I want to upgrade is because my sub cant keep up with the helicopter scene in the Matrix. Thanks for all of your answers.

Michael

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Nerf foot balls are supposed to work well. Some dense foam several inches thick should work too.
It will depend entirely on what the dimensions of the sub actually are. The dimensions you gave work out to ~160L internal volume, while the dimensions I found on the net work out to ~90L.
A 160L enclosure stuffed with 5 to 7.5 lbs of polyfill will work very well with a Tempest or Dayton DVC15".
A 90L enclosure stuffed with 4 to 4.5 lbs of polyfill won't work that well.
Plus we have no idea what kind of boost is on that plate amp (could kill power handling and badly over exaggerate 30-40hz bass and limit sub 30hz bass). Plus this is what the construction quality of an enclosure for a Tempest or Dayont DVC15" should look like. Well braced and made of 3/4" MDF.

That AudioSource enclosure will lose a lot of output to cabinet flexing.
You can do this, but don't expect amazing results. The enclosure is just as important as the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks