What's new

Remember that 'Something Weird' sampler that Borders offered, then pulled? (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
About a year ago (Sept-ish or Oct-ish 2002), Borders had an offer to give away free samplers from the "Something Weird" video line. It was called "Extra Weird". The offer was withdrawn and the discs supposedly "destroyed" when parents objected that free samplers being given away with any DVD purchase to anyone of any age contained nudity.

There were threads here at HTF on the subject, but I can't find them any more...except for this one! :)

However, I found this at another site thanks to Google, and it may jog your memory even more.

Well...strange thing. I just picked one up at Best Buy today for $4.99! It was in their budget DVD section. So if you're interested in this, go get it!

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I remember that one, I got it at borders last year for free. I did not know anything about it at the time but one of the employees told me about it and got it out of the back for me.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I picked it up at Media Play for 4.49.
Watched a bit of it, that's a lot of weird stuff all right!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
You can also get it in a box set with 3 of their double-feature discs, called "Beauties and Beasts", however be warned that they put computer-generated letters "SWV" on the screen during all of the trailers on this disc!! My eyes hurt after watching it all in one sitting (I have zero tolerance for this practice- I quit watching TV when that trend started.) They do it on most of the extras on their movie discs, which is pretty disappointing, though the actual movies are unmarred and look pretty good.

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
I got mine for free, as part of the recent Best Buy/Something Weird Halloween promotion! Just arrived today. (Funny thing: the disc I ordered to get "Extra Weird" is backordered, but they sent the extra anyway. $0.00 cost, $0.00 shipping. Don't think I'll see that again for a while!) :emoji_thumbsup:

Looking forward to checking it out,

- Bob

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
This stand-alone "budget-priced" release of the disc was announced by Image a while back and was on their October release slate. The MSRP is $4.99.

When it was originally recalled last year, the discs were ordered to be pulled from shelves and returned to Image, not destroyed. They must have had a LOT of copies of the disc left over from that promotion because Image then packaged it in that "Beauties and the Beasts" box-set several months back and then announced this stand-alone release as well. They did have to alter the cover artwork for these reissues, though, because the original printings had the "Border's" logo on the front cover.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The one I got with the boxset was in a keep case, and had a Borders coupon inside, even though I didn't buy it there!

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Well, the original Border's promo disc came with a coupon inside it. That coupon had probably already expired by the time the "B&B" box-set came out. Does the keepcase you received in the box set still say "Border's" on the front cover? Just curious if they had changed it at that point.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Nope, doesn't say "Borders" anywhere on the package except for the coupon. If I were Borders I would've pulled it because of the onscreen SWV, not for the content of the trailers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks