What's new

Remaining classic Ghost Story/Haunted House flicks not yet on Blu... (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I'm in for just about every title listed. Would really love to see The Reincarnation of Peter Proud finally released.

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Just want to take this opportunity to run around the room high-fiving everyone who also wants The Changeling on blu...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Just want to take this opportunity to run around the room high-fiving everyone who also wants The Changeling on blu...
Who has the rights for THE CHANGELING now? Still HBO (and if so, would Warner Bros serve as distributor)?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
In addition to the titles already mentioned, there are:

The Stone Tape (BFI, 1972) written by Nigel Kneale himself and directed by Peter Sasdy.
Burnt Offerings (MGM, 1976) directed by Dan Curtis at his best.
The Tenant (Paramount, 1976) directed by Roman Polanski.
The Woman In Black (Thames TV, 1989) an instant classic, superior to the 2011 remake, and scary.

There's also Stephen King's mini-series Rose Red (2002) which is quite good although it takes too long to arrive and then overstays its' welcome. Fortunately Nancy Travis is on hand to keep us interested.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Although not strictly a haunted house movie The Bat Whispers (1930) dips its toe in the genre very effectively. I'd love to see it on blu-ray. It survives in both 35mm Academy ratio and 65mm widescreen alternate. It would look spectacular in hi-def.

I have the BFI blu-ray of Jack Clayton's The Innocents (1961) and recommend it to everyone who is multi-region enabled. A beautiful transfer and an impeccable package. I'll add my voice to the support for the other titles listed, particularly The Unseen (Universal, 1945) The House On Haunted Hill (1959), 13 Ghosts (1960), The Legend of Hell House (1973) and The Changeling (1980). All very strong and effective haunted house / ghost tales.

If you like being scared, I recommend Philippe Sarde's blood-curdling scores for The Tenant (1976) and Ghost Story (1980). He was onto something really creepy with those tinkling breaking glass sounds. They're even creepy to listen to apart from the films. Jerry Goldsmith also conjured up the sound of ghosts and the presence of evil in The Mephisto Waltz (1971), a superb film by the way, and Warlock (1989). These soundtrack CD's are available and memorable listening experiences. I file them on the shelf next to the DVD.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
OLD DARK HOUSE might be "owned" by Cohen Media now, not Kino.I agree with Richard's recommendation of THE WOMAN IN BLACK. It really needs a proper, modern release from the original elements.The MR James Ghost Stories deserve a US release, however the UK set that was released last year ranks as one of my favorite releases in 2012. Those are some of the creepiest ghost stories realized on film. While not James' but included in the set is one does it for me every time -- THE SIGNALMAN by Charles Dickens. Top notch in every way, especially Denholm Elliot's acting.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree about The Bat Whispers. Would be wonderful to have both full frame and widescreen versions on Blu-ray. I recently rewatched my DVD in the widescreen version, and it's a nifty little mystery.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I vote for a title that hasn't been mentioned yet...The Changel......oh wait.... ;)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966) is a very good film and my favorite of Don Knotts' classic comedies. It generates a few surprises and a few scares. There is also the memorable performance from Don Knotts to enjoy. He was a sincere and dedicated actor. His "coward" is funny but dramatic at the same time. He achieves pathos. Would love to get The Ghost and Mr. Chicken on blu-ray.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Oh yeah -- forgot to mention that there is/are new BFI Ghost Stories discs coming this fall too, including SCHALCKEN THE PAINTER!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
bgart13 said:
Oh yeah -- forgot to mention that there is/are new BFI Ghost Stories discs coming this fall too, including SCHALCKEN THE PAINTER!
Are you referring to a region 1 American edition of the British release? or something entirely different?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks