What's new

Relocating computer -> Need USB Extensions -> A Hub? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is probably a silly question but I have
never had this situation before.

I am expecting a new computer shortly. Going
to relocate it to a different area of my desk
while keeping my printer, external hard drive,
scanner and other USB 2 devices where they are.

This means I need USB extension cable to reach
everything now that my computer is farther way.

But what if....

I buy a USB 2 hub. I just run the USB cable
out of my computer to the central located hub
that connects to all my USB devices.

Problem solved?

Will the hub and extensions slow down the
transfer speeds? Should I consider a powered hub?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think this depends on the ratings of the USB devices. I tried to "hub" a joystick with my mouse a few weeks ago and I got this horrible message.

I have no idea what is where, but sometimes you can 'cheat' by running a cable underneath your desktop - or something like that.

I almost had to buy an extension cable but then found out that one of my USB's was 10' long, and not 6' like the rest! I'm a happy clam now! :)

Glenn

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The main thing with USB 2.0 is to make sure that everything you connect to it supports the standard. Not all cables or hubs are USB 2.0-rated.

You can find a longer USB cable, an extension cable, I think they even have couplers that will join two shorter cables. I like powered hubs and they can be had cheap. (I think I paid $15.00 for one that I use at the office to work on these little field computers that our environmental guys use. They have tiny keyboards, a touchpad pointing device and a single USB port. I'm 6'2" and my hands span ten keys on a standard piano keyboard - I can't type on those little chicklet keyboards and the requisition process at a state agency is a nightmare. So it was cheaper and easier for me to just buy the thing myself and hook-up a full-sized keyboard and mouse and worth it to save myself time and trouble.)

I have a powered USB 2.0 hub on my laptop that an external hard drive and my external a/v digitizer share. The only speed issue comes in when you're using multiple USB devices on the same hub for bandwidth-intensive tasks at the same time. I transfer full motion video from the digitizer to the external hard drive through my laptop and surf the 'web at the same time without having major problems. I wouldn't try to edit color photos, play a serious game or open a couple of large spreadsheets and databases while doing that, but for normal use the setup works well for me.

Regards,

Joe

Chris

Senior HTF Member
A powered USB 2.0 hub is a good bet, Ron. Far better then many of the simple extensions for USB2.0, which aren't always so hot with external storage devices (HDDs, media readers, etc.)

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
If you connect any USB device that draws power from the USB itself, you'll need the powered hub. Bottom line - get a powered. Worth the pittance extra it costs, as the potential for malfunctions is lower.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks guys.

The advice seems to be powered USB2 hub
with USB2 rated cables.

Going to NEWEGG now to look at what
they have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks