What's new

Recommendations for a good, 4 port DSL/router? (1 Viewer)

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Was considering a SMC Barricade at Future Shop Canada Online...but it's on backorder...probably won't make the August 8th deadline for the rebate. Also, we need one in a hurry since we have experienced problems with Zone Labs. The 4 port DSL Router is for a small office with several computers.
Recommendations?
Checked with http://www.practicallynetworked.com for reviews...Linksys is out, too many problems...don't like D-Link (have had problems with their lousy network cards). Right now, we are leaning towards Netgear RT314 at ~$168-$173 plus taxes and shipping. Review noted some problems with filter apps, but is very fast. Not exactly sure about it's reliabillity and firewall performance.
Thanks for any help.
Dave

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the site, Nick.
Too bad that Amazon does not ship computer accessories, including routers, to Canada.
Dave

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Scott,
At CDN$249 plus taxes and shipping, the Nexland is a bit more than what we had budgeted for. Nice features, though. Budget is CDN$150-$175, preferably less.
Shayne,
FS can be slow at times. Definately not consistent IMO. We would probably prefer an online Canadian computer dealer.
Dave

DavidY

Supporting Actor
It's gotta be online since I live out in the boonies. The nearest FS is about 13 hours away by car. The local computer shops are generally overpriced....local pricing is usually Vancouver prices plus an extra 30%.
Dave

Roy C.

Second Unit
Another vote for the Lynksys 4-port Cable/DSL Router. I got mine over a year ago and have multiple devices hooked up to it and have never had an issue with it. As a matter of fact my next project with it is to setup a VPN with my servers at work via Cisco client. This should be a shore!
Good luck,
Roy
------------------

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
You could try local Vancouver computer shops such as Link Removed . If you can, pick up a Computer Paper and check out prices in there.
------------------

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Graeme,
Been doing price comparisons online for various online dealers (mostly those in BC):
Microconcepts
Linksys BEFSR41 CDN$168
Netgear RT314 $173
Bestop
D-Link 704 $175
Linksys $179
SMC 7004ABR $169?
ATIC
D-Link $165
Linksys $170
NCIX
Netgear $168
D-Link $172
Linksys $171
Oxycom (not sure where they are located)
Linksys $165
Netgear $163
SMC $164
The best price that I have found so far is CDN$163 for the Netgear RT314 at Oxycom. I will probably get NCIX to pricematch Oxycom. A local Radioshack sells the D-Link for CDN$170. Unfortunately, I don't like D-Link components.
Dave

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Dave,
Just to let you know the Netgear isn't a router.....its a SWITCH!!! No data colision for you my friend. I use the RT314 also, as it has built in NAT, DHCP, PPPoE, etc....Also it allows me to use my Dreamcast's Broadband adapter with Phantasy Star Online!

Roy C.

Second Unit
Kelley,
so does the Linksys plus it does filtering, it allows you to install a DMZ, IP forwarding, etc. I really swear by these cable/dsl routers. I've installed about 40 Linksys routers in offices "sharing" some of my bandwidth and they work flawlessly. Also, you can allow or disallow by port, ie port 80, HTTP, port 23 SMTP, port 25 Telnet, etc.
Good luck,
Roy C.
------------------

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using a D-Link DI-707.
It's a DSL/Cable router with 7-port hub. Starting price is around $140.
[Edited last by SteveBjr on August 11, 2001 at 11:30 AM]

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Another vote for the Linksys BEFSR41. One of the best purchaes I have made with easy set up and no problems with it at all.
Parker

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
RoyC,
Is the Linksys a router/hub or is it a Switch. I was under the thinking that the Linksys model was a Router/Hub. I know the Netgear is a switch. I actually owned the Linksys unit, but brought it back as it didn't properly do DHCP for my Dreamcast. The only one that many ppl on the internet newsgroups found out that the DC BBA and PSO would properly work on was the Netgear RT314. Now I am not dissing the Linksys in anyway, as I know its a good product, but for my taste I prefer the Netgear.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
I recommend that you avoid Linksys routers like the plague! I bought one that worked for about 2 weeks - then died. I exchanged it for 2 other defective routers before finally switching to a NetGear router. The NetGear router was slightly more expensive, but works like a champ. The documentation is better as well.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the responses. It is much appreciated.
Recently, my local service provider has noted that users had city wide problems with the D-Link 704 when they had upgraded their software. I was told that the all D-Link 704 owners had to upgrade their router (via software/firmware??). He further noted that there was no apparent problems with Netgear, SMC or Linksys. Based on I have read here and elsewhere, I would probably go with either Netgear or SMC Barricade....they seem to have the best performance or the best features (print server on the SMC would be quite handy).
Since we have apparently fixed our DSL lite problem, we have decided to put the router purchase on hold for the time being.
Hope that this thread has helped others making the same decision regarding a router purchase.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks