What's new

Recommendation for size of subwoofer and placement (1 Viewer)

Ok, I have settled on my mains now - PSB Image 2B (this will be for a more 'budget-orientated' HT setup). I plan to add a pair of PSB Image 1B speakers for my rears, and the Image 8C for the center. That would then leave the subwoofer. I was previously thinking about getting a 10" one. But now I'm wondering if that is the right choice, or would it overpower my compact setup? The room size it will be used in is about 14' x 16'. Should I consider just getting an 8" subwoofer instead or stick with a 10"?
Second question: my entertainment center is rather large and crosses a corner of the room diagonally, instead of sitting adjacent to a wall. This leaves a fair amount of space between it and the corner (large triangle). Would it be ok to sit the subwoofer behind it, or would it dampen the sound too much?

Len Cheong

Second Unit
I don't think a larger sub would overpower your mains since the sub will be responsible for frequencies below 80Hz anyway. That being the case, go with a larger sub if you've got the cash. The question may be, do you want a sub that goes down to 20 Hz? 10 inch subs mostly go to just below 30 Hz. If you want to go to 20 Hz, then go for a 12 incher.
As for the behind the tv placement, that's where my sub has been ever since I bought it. No problems so far. It may even increase the output of the sub given that it's in a corner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks