What's new

Recevier watt ratings confusion (1 Viewer)

Sinnaeve

Auditioning
I need to decide on what reciever to buy, Already have four Infinity Alpha40,
infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/product_detail.aspx?prod=ALPHA40BK&series=ALP&cat=BFS
Looking at all Onkyo models:

TX-SR500
All manuals only at
onkyousa.com/own_manuals.cfm?cat=Receiver
5.1 Channel DPS Dolby Digital DTS Dolby Pro-Logic II WRAT CinemaFILTER
All channels: 65 watts per channel min. RMS at 8 ohms
Continuous Power output (DIN) 85 watts X 5 at 6 ohms
Dynamic power output: 85 watts X 2 at 8 ohms

TX-SR501
onkyousa.com/model.cfm?p=f&m=TX-SR501&class=receivers
6.1 Channel Dolby Digital DTS Dolby Pro-Logic II WRAT CinemaFILTER Neo:6 modes
All channels: 65 watts per channel min. RMS at 8 ohms
Continuous Power output (DIN) 85 watts ¡¿ 2 at 6 ohms
Dynamic power output: 160 watts ¡¿ 2 at 3 ohms

TX-SR601
onkyousa.com/model.cfm?navclass=receivers&class=receivers&m=TX-SR601&p=i&navsort=active
6.1 Channel Dolby Digital DTS Dolby Pro-Logic II WRAT CinemaFILTER
All channels: 85 W per channel min. RMS at 8 §Ù,
Continuous power output (DIN) 120 W at 6 §Ù
Dynamic power output (stereo) 2 ¡¿ 220 W at 3 §Ù

HT-R500
onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S660&class=systems&p=i
5.1 Channel Dolby Digital DTS Dolby Pro-Logic II WRAT
100 watts by Five into 8 Ohms Digital Receiver for the HTS660 Home Theater System Factory Refurbished by Onkyo??

Sources are Onky manuals. I got a variety of watt rating depending on the source.

Unsure of Neo:6 modes

Which rating do I use?

Do number of channels dilute watts since 5 speakers vs 7 speakers draw on power source? (Assume power source is same in txsr500 & txsr501)

Main Question
What matches my speakers, will be adding Sub and Center ASAP. 100watt looks best, but?

Thanks,
Tom

Jason GT

Second Unit
Neo:6 is a DSP mode simlar to DPL and DPL II.

Try to use use 8 (ohm) power specs, full-range (ie, 20Hz-20kHz). They're the most common method of power-rating receivers. Do not, however, get pulled into the power rating game too much. There isn't that much difference between 60 wpc and 75 wpc as much as you'd think. Most of the time you'll be using less than 5 wpc, believe it or not (in fact, probably 1-2!). Extra power gets you better sound dynamics.

For the time being, ignore dynamic power (there is no common method of measuring dynamic power), and be wary of any power specs for low-impedance loads (they make a power spec look artificially higher).

There is an asterisk beside the power rating, but no footnote on what the asterisk denotes.

I am willing to bet that the HTB receiver is nowhere near 100 WPC over full range. In fact, if you look at the spec, it's 100 watts at 8 (ohms) at 1 kHz. It won't do 100 WPC all channels driven simultaneously.

As to which one is best for you -- they should all work fine (they're not incredibly different on a quick glance). Pick one based on sound quality, features and what you can afford.

CurtisC

Second Unit
Most good avr's,lets say rated at 100x7 will actually be more like 60 watts x 5ch driven(8ohm) to clipping.As said before,unless you have big power hungry spkrs thats plenty.More power reserves are good but not essential if you have eff.speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks