What's new

Receivers with Equalizers (1 Viewer)

RobertJohn

Auditioning
I've noticed that some receivers have built in equalizers. Which ones have the greatest buck / boost range? And while I'm asking, is there a good reason why you couldn't increase the relative boost at a particular ( low) frequency by setting it to increase (say plus 4 db.) and then setting higher frequencies to decrease ( say minus 4 db ) , and then using the gain (volume) control to make up the overall setting ?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That will work.

As far as which receiver has the greatest adjustment range, some will have to have first-hand knowledge of every receiver on the market to tell you that. However, I expect you won’t find one with more than +/- 12 dB capability. Lots of manufactures have on-line manuals for their products, so it shouldn’t be hard to find one with +/- 12 dB adjustment.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
I am not that sure that this will really work that well because only professional equalizers can cover all (or most) frequencies in the 20Hz-20KHz range AT THE SAME TIME. We're talking about graphic EQ's with AT LEAST 31 bands of equalization (1/3 octave) or professional parametric equalizers.
All other equalizers (including those found in receivers) are meant for a limited number of simultaneous frequency corrections (you can use them to flatten frequency peaks or deeps) and can only cover a limited number of frequency ranges at the same time.
If you boost certain low frequencies and inhibate some high frequencies, all other frequencies not covered by the EQ bands will stay at the base level. This will give you kind of a 'saw-teeth' shaped frequency response which you really don't wanna have!

Moreover, many receivers incorporating EQs will only allow automatic control of the EQs (the EQs can only be set via automatic calibration) and only limited to none manual adjustment control.
If you want full EQ control think about some separate equalizers (like the Behringer units). I am currently using a Behringer Tube Ultra-Q for CD sound equalization (only left and right channels) but there are people on this forum using Behringer EQs for all 5.1 channels for DVD soundtracks.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

The Pioneer Elite 54TX features a built-in EQ (as does their 52TX, 1014TX, 56TXi and 59TXi). The EQ for the 54TX is just a 5-band EQ. The settings can be adjusted as you have two options: Custom1 and Custom2. Normally, you take on of the EQ profiles (e.g. All Channel Adjust) and copy it to Custom1 or Custom2. Under either of those areas, you would then perform the manual adjustments to suit your needs.

Other receivers with EQs: Yamaha RX-V1400/1500, 2400/2500, HTR-5790; Harman Kardon AVR-435/635, Denon AVR-2805/3805.

There might be many others to add to the list. In my experience, the built-in EQ seems to do best when you utilize the microphone (included with some receivers) to let the receiver go through a series of tests and perform the EQ adjustments. What you'll find out is that the receiver will set the EQ to adjust for short-falls in your listening environment.

Personally, I haven't had much need to manually adjust my settings too much beyond where they were set by the receiver.

RobertJohn

Auditioning
Okay, Question for those of you recommending a graphic, or parametric equalizer. How would you hook it up to a majority of today's receivers that only have pre-out jacks, and no tape mon. loop. BTW I really only need to equalize the front L & R main speakers.

John S

Senior HTF Member
To do it. The AVR would need to have Pre-outs jumpered to power amp ins. The EQ(s) go in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks