What's new

Receiver shopping - Help me decide (1 Viewer)

SummyD

Stunt Coordinator
Hello... its always fun to add new components to HT. Next piece for me is upgrading my Pio VSX-509 receiver.

Features I am looking for are:
video upconversion to component,
onscreen display,
min of 3 audio dig inputs,
and sub crossover setting of 80Hz or less.

Receivers shortlisted so far are:
Pio 1015 ($449 shipped),
Onkyo 702 Refurb ($431 shipped),
and Denon 2105 ($390 shipped).

Which one of these do you think will best drive me Energy C-series speakers? I would prefer a 'warmer' receiver. My HT/music ratio is 70/30. Also, Should the recent power-outage related problems with 1014 discourage me?

Thank you for participating in this important decision.

Kean-Hock Yeap

Stunt Coordinator
If you prefer warmer receivers you probably want to check out Harman Kardon as well since they are known to be warm sounding receivers.

There do not seem to be reports that the 1015 suffering the same problem as the 1014 when it comes to power outage.

Steve_L

Stunt Coordinator
I think you should also have a auto room equalization feature on your must have list. I have this on the 1014 and in my opinion it provides such a seamless soundstage it would amaze me if anyone could come as close with a hand held meter and a sound disc. Maybe, but this is just so much easier.

I can't tell you about the 1014 power outage thing. I am watching that thread too. I lost power the other day and didn't get the evil flashing MCACC light, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to happen to me someday.

What I do know is that I am VERY pleased with the 1014 otherwise.

This is a LOT of receiver for the money.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Summy,

I have the Pioneer 54TX receiver. I can agree with what has been stated for their receivers by the others. Overall, I'm quite happy with mine. I've used virtually every feature on it - even the 2nd room outputs for sound. The 1014/1015 don't feature the 2nd zone outputs like the 52TX and up do provide. I didn't see this as one of your requirements, so you should be OK.

Also, I noticed that on your list of requirements was a crossover setting of 80 Hz or below. The Pioneer allow for an 80 Hz crossover - then, it drops down to a 50 Hz option. Personally, I would have loved it if they gave a few more steps between 80Hz and 50Hz - 10Hz increments would have been GREAT! However, I keep mine at 80Hz and I'm content for the most part, but often ask myself what 60Hz would do, if I had the option.

In any regard, keep asking questions. You'll find the answers you're looking for as you look for your receiver.

SummyD

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, Auto-EQ should be on the list as well. I am too lazy for SPL meter :)

I compared 1014 with the comparable Yamaha 5XXX a few months ago and found the former to be warmer. Are Onkyo and Denon considered warm?

Too bad 1015 doesn't have any freq for xover between 50 and 80.

SummyD

Stunt Coordinator
I found some answers by searching the archives. Looks like Denon and Pioneer 1014 are considered neutral/warm, and Onkyos are considered brighter in general. For that reason, I might prefer 1015. Also, Denon 2105 doesn't seem to have auto-EQ. So, it looks like Pio 1015 might be best for me.

I still have some time before I buy, so I will keep looking for more info. Thanks for everyone who replied. BTW, My wife thinks I am crazy doing all this research :D

Victor Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
I've found manual setup to be as good or better especially on lower end recievers. I would recommend the Onkyo of the three you listed followed by the Denon. IMHO I really like H/K.

Shiu

Second Unit
Manual EQ can be fun. Why pay for it if you can do it manually. I know the 2805/3805 works well with the C-9. The 2105 has a little less power but it should be fine with the C series. I think there is a full review with lab measurements on it at the H.T. magazine site.

Steve_L

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that the auto-equalization feature of the 1014, or anyother receiver for that matter is a "nice to have" and by no means mandatory. A good calibration/test disc, a SPL meter and less than an hour of your time and you are there. So, not something that actually makes the unit sound better. Still, a great convenience.

I've found, for me, even when I have done a manual calaibration, or modified the initial "flat" equalization of the MCACC I end up falling back to the default "flat" equalization that the receiver gave me initially. It just seems to work that well. The Pioneer set up software allows you to modify by 1/2db increments each speaker from it's initially "flat" settings.

SummyD

Stunt Coordinator
Shiu - A friend of mine has Denon 3805 running with his Energy C's and that really sounds awesome. But I don't want to spend that kind of money on a receiver. However, it sounds like manual EQ isn't a bad option either.

Victor - HK's nice but seems that in order to get video upconversion, I would have to go up to AVR635, which would be out of my budget of around $400.

Also, I have been reading about HDMI. I believe some high-end receivers come with these already. From some other posts, it seems that the picture quality difference between HDMI and component is negligible. Is it worth waiting for this newer technology to trickle down to the mid-price receivers?

Patrick D

Stunt Coordinator
I really disliked the Auto-EQ on my Pioneer 1014. It destroyed the soundstage, and made the speakers sound muffled in comparison to no processing. I've heard similar comments from others, so I'm not sure having the EQ on the Pioneers is necessarily a good thing.

As for level setting, being paranoid, I agree with Steve_L. Trust your own eyes and ears (when backed by an SPL meter). I like this unit otherwise so far, seems pretty solid all the way around.

lee ison

Stunt Coordinator
auto-EQ is the only way to go otherwise you are just guessing even with a spl meter , which have been know to be off by 30%.It may very well be to your liking(temporarily) but it is far from accurate or flat. check either setting with a RTA and you will see a much flatter freq. response using auto-EQ. get the pioneer and save your self some trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks