What's new

Receiver or pre-amp with l/c/r/sur/sw lights (1 Viewer)

Len Cheong

Second Unit
Does anybody know if any receiver or preamp contain indicators that flash when a particular speaker comes on and how loud it is playing? This would be a neat way to monitor the LFE in a movie. Thanks.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Hello Len
To my knowledge, I have a Pioneer VSX-D606S A/V Stereo Receiver that, when used on Dolby Digital DVD's or AC-3 laserdiscs, would light up the activated input channels whenever a Dolby Digital-encoded signal was fed into the receiver to indicate all of the active channels in use. Whenever there was an LFE signal to be had, it would light up, but not necessarily light up as enclosed in the boxes the other five channels would whether there was an active signal going through or not. But whenever an LFE signal was indicated as going through, the LFE indicator box to light up for as long as there was one available. Sometimes, the indicator would light up when one would not necessarily hear a deep low-frequency sound. Other times, it would not when one would generally hear plenty of bass frequencies. I realize Pioneer has featured this display on a goodly number of their Dolby Digital receivers over the past few years, so there is one place you can check out.
------------------
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Denon AVR-3600,5600, 5700, 4800, 5800
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
My Sony STR-V333ES has panel lights to indicate which of the 5.1 channels are active. The light for the .1 is for LFE, not necessarily sub, so if a 5.0 disc is playing, it does not light up.
Anytime I'm playing a 5.1 format disc, the LFE indicator will remain lit at all times, but it has 3 little parentheses hashmarks on each side of it that come on when LFE is actually active, the more active it is, the more hashmarks light up. It's kinda cool, but virtually impossible to see from across the room.
Some Sony DVD players have an audio format onscreen display that shows pictograms of the speakers to indicate what format is playing. The sub will be outlined in a sorta dotted line which turns solid when the lfe channel is actually active.
This display works even if you're not using the player's internal dd decoder.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Lexicon processors have an AC-3 status menu which includes an LFE bar-graph (available on both the front panel and as an on-screen display).
A similar status menu does not exist for DTS.
You could also use the bar graphs on a Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro installed before the sub-woofer (DSP based parametric EQ with a < $150 price tag) although that won't differentiate between LFE and non-LFE being redirected to the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks