What's new

R.I.P. Walt Disney Treasures series? See post #82! (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I actually find Bossert's comments quite interesting, because it's not really a positive "the Treasures line is going" comment. I don't think anyone would actually be surprised by what he actually said - "the Legacy Collection is sort-of a replacement to the Treasures line".

Most people thought the True-Life Adventures would be a Treasures release, and when they were released as Legacy releases, it was obvious that they were ending the Treasures series.

I think the big issue around Treasures seems to just be whether they will finish the Donald sets and some of the other animated releases, leaving the live-action releases for Legacy. ANd this may be what is happening.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
And what common sense would dictate.

We had a brief discussion on this page of the GoldenAgeCartoons forum:

http://forums.goldenagecartoons.com/...1&page=9&pp=10

(Posts 85 + 87)

Leonard Maltin never stated that he was no longer involved in the series production, he clearly dictated that the series was finished. No more. And if anyone should know...

Furthermore, there should be no reason for speculation in regards to this, because we already have definitive inside word on the reasoning behind the decision: The Legacy Series.

Of course, we could have figured this out on our own by simply observing the context of these new releases, and their strategically odd crossover release dates with this year's Disney Treasures...

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
As long as they release what's in their vaults, I don't care if they call it "Treasures" or "Legacy" or "Classic Disney" or whatever. I just want my Donalds.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
I woke up from a dream a few minutes ago... :eek:

Leonard Maltin knew that Disney was going to finish the Chronological Donald in the Legacy Series but was embargoed from making it public.

Good night all! :cool:

{print this & save it}

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I'm interpreting that to mean you know something. I've thought all along that they'd finish the Donalds in the Legacy series. They better finish those Donalds -- and they better letterbox the CinemaScope ones. I don't care what they call them, as long as they do it.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod

I'm floating another idea for consideration.

Backstory: Years ago, I was in a VW Beetle car club in LA with a Disney employee/collector. I told him I was anxiously awaiting B/W Mickey on DVD that Christmas because I had B/W Mickey on laserdisc and they were beginning to show flecks of laser rot. (Remember those good old days?)

He says to me, "If you can wait a while, we're going to release that 'Treasures series' without the numbered tin boxes at a lower price when they sell out. That LE tin is just perceived value."

Six years later, I still can't get his remark out of my head.

I submit: Would Di$ney finish releasing 2-disc rarities, but without the tin box, without the 'limited edition' hype, without Maltin, and without the 'Treasures' name? ...similar to what was originally planned.

:emoji_thumbsup: ? :thumbsdown: ?

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
I have a quick question here that I hope someone can answer for me.

If I have both volumes of Mickey Mouse in B&W and both volumes of Mickey Mouse in Living Color from the "Treasures" series, do I have every short cartoon of Mickey Mouse released?

I have been looking on the internet and have not found the answer-

Thanks-
Jack Cleveland

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
TheGreatOz, they did release them without the tins a couple of years ago. Costco sold them in a box set together. However, it might have only been wave 1 they did this with.

Nathan Phillips

Stunt Coordinator

Could this have been referring to the short-lived Costco box? It was a hot item on ebay for a year or so. The first two waves were included together in a big box without the tins. Before I found all of the OOP discs separately I tried like hell to get one of these, never managed it.

If, on the other hand, there really is a plan to issue non-LE versions of the shorts, I have to applaud it. As much money as I've spent collecting this, it bugs me that they aren't readily available on some kind of permanent basis.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
Thanks Mark & Nathan for bringing me up to speed on this. I guess I should stop into Costco, BJs, or Sam's Club once in a while. ;)

Once the LE versions are done, Disney would be smart to keep the discs available at a sell-through price.

Di$ney makes nothing on their Treasures that are scalped on eBay & Amazon. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks