What's new

Quick question: Does a digital signal degrade when it is passed thru splitter? (1 Viewer)

GeorgeVT

Agent
I know that each time you split regular analog cable that the result is downgraded cable signal. Is this true of splitting a digitial cable signal? If not, why not?

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
George,

Using the terms "analog" and "digital" all alone is too generic to tell what you refer to.

I'll take a guess you are thinking of cable television cable to your house and out of the wall plates.

It is true that whatever the level of service programming provided by the cableTV company, each split reduces the coax cable signal strength by 3 dB each time it is split. Usually one split (one main feed in, 2 or maybe 3 feeds out) can be accommodated, especially if using a 900MHz or 1GHz splitter of quality from the cable company (as opposed to a RadioShack cheapie).

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the signal reduction issue applies to both analog and digital signals.

But a digital signal can be split, and each half appear to be perfect transmission. It's a much more robust technique than an analog signal.

However: broadband signals have a frequency range in the GigHz range and things this fast have impedence-matching issues. Use a poor splitter and you get reflections in the cable when the signal hits the splitter. This mangles later data.

So while gross signal-strength is not as big an issue with digital, the high-frequency stuff has new issues.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
thats not true......

the signal loss is exactly the same wheather its analog or digital. trusty me I have tested both!

if your having a problem with signal after a split go buy yourself a Electroline Cable Splitter/Drop Amplifier .

this fixed my problem and every channel iss chrystal clear and many channels before were very bad! my house is split 3 times and on 5 tv's going over 50 feet.

I got the best results putting it after the first split and before the last. the unit took place of the splitter that was between them.

on digital the signal loss is even ,ore moticeable than on analog.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks