What's new

Quick question about RF Demodulators? (1 Viewer)

I want to know if the Sony demodulators are of a decent quality. I know that the Kenwoods are but I dont have that kind of money at this time. And the Sony's are pretty affordable. Thanks
Stephen T.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Stephen, I assume you are referring to the Sony MOD-RF1, which is the current Sony RF demodulator. I am certainly no expert in demodulators, as I only got into LD casually last year, but I have the MOD-RF1 and it's great. I've had no problems with it. It seems to me, however, that the real LD buffs prefer demodulators from Kenwood, Pioneer, Yamaha, and a few others. At least, I've read good things about those units. The Sony often gets talked about because it's the only one still made. For me, the bottom line with the Sony unit was that I could get it brand new, it was cheap, and it's small. It sounds great too.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
Stephen,
I have a Sony RFD-1, plus a Pioneer demodulator and a Kenwood demodulator. I've never noticed a sonic difference between any of them. What makes the Pioneer and Kenwood model better is that they have digital passthrough and automatic switching. In other words, you hook both the AC3 RF and PCM digital from the LD player into the demod, then run one cable from the demod to one digital input on your processor. Much more convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks