What's new

Questions on Penny RP-56 and JVC S60BK DVDs (1 Viewer)

Daniel C

Auditioning
I currently have a Penny A120 and TW40X81 TV and is planning to get either of the progressive scan DVD players. I am now torn between the 2 and would like some current owners to give me some information/advises/comments:
  • In my old A120, to swith video output between composit/S-video to componet, it requires to switch at the back of the player. Does either of the new players require the same?
  • I went for a short demo in my nearby electronic store and at least from what I saw, the difference between interlaces and progressive output was subtle. Can someone tell me what is the observable difference? What is a good demo dvd; which chapter?
  • Last but not the least, can someone comment on the 2 and advise which one should I go with?
Thanks a lot!:)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Daniel,
I don't know about the Panasonic, but the JVC will output through S-video and component simultaneously..of course if it's in progressive mode the output thru S-video will be hash.
It can also switch from progressive to interlaced on the fly by holding down a button on the remote.
Depending on the quality of the line doubler in your set, you may see very little difference between progressive and interlaced output from the player.
The JVC has 2 user adjustable sets of picture adjustments for brightness, contrast, gamma, tint, Y-delay, color, and sharpness and can scale non-anamorphic dvds to fit a 16/9 screen if the flagging on the disc is correct.
Neither player has the "chroma bug".

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Just to add, the RP56 does have the Flicker Bug. I put the RP56, Sony NS700p and the S60 head-to-head and found the JVC to have the superior progressive picture of the three.
Peace Out~:D

Daniel C

Auditioning
Does anybody know if the Penny requires switching between component and S-video with a physical switch at the back?

Also,I read that progressive signal is only delivered via the component signal. So when playing in progressive mode, shouldn't the S-video still be deliverinng interlaced signal instead of 'hashed' signal?

Anybody?

Daniel C

Auditioning
Just to bring this to the top again.

BTW, is there any reference dvd that can show dramatic differences between progressive and interlace difference and which chapter should be used?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Daniel,
I don't know of any progressive scan player that will output progressive through component and interlaced through S-video simultaneously. On the JVC, it will output interlace through both simultaneously. This would only be an issue if you're trying to output to one progressive capable tv and a second ntsc-only tv at the same time.
In Saving Private Ryan, go to the scene where the car is going down the dirt road toward the farm house so they can tell the mother her son has died in the war. The grille of the car is supposed to look smoother in progressive scan.

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, the old Tosh 5109 output signal simultaneously on all available outputs--component, S-video, and composite... I know, I had one and had both S-Vid and component running to my set, and for the rare non-anamorphic dvd I'd just switch inputs on the tv--no changed needed on the player...
But I wouldn't recommend you buy one (if you could find it used even?) just for that feature... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks