What's new

Question on CDR media speed. (1 Viewer)

Eric Gan

Agent
I use Nero and VCDeasy to burn discs. Both of these programs seem to know the speed of the media in the drive. So if I put in a 4x disc, it won't let me select anything faster.

I recently picked up a pack of high-speed 12x cdrw's. Both programs are reading it as 4x speed and won't let me burn faster. Is there a way around this, or did I get scammed with the discs? I've heard of people burning their 16x cdr's at 24 and 32x speeds. How do they do that? Thanks.

Eric

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
If you want to write at 16x you need both media and a writer that are capable of that speed. Same with 24x, same with 32x. It sounds more like your writer is a 4x writer.

I've never experienced a program that didn't properly identify the drive speed nor the media speed, and I've owned four different writers of varying speeds in the past few years.

Eric Gan

Agent
My writer is 12/8/32. I've always burn at 12x for CDR and I have burned at 8x with high-speed CDRWs. The problem is....this latest pack of high speed (12x) CDRW I got is not being recognized as 12x (or at least 8x for my burner). I'm just wondering if the media identification is messed up and if I can force it to write at 8x.

I know many people burn their 16x media at 24x or 24 at 32, etc. Just wondering how they get around the problem of the burner recognizing the disc's media speed and thereby limiting the burn speed.

Regards,

Eric

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Eric,

You didn't mention what brand your CDR is. I had a similar problem a while back when I upgraded my Nero version and my CDR would not record anywhere nearly as fast as it had been. I went to the CDR web site and downloaded some newer firmware for the drive, updated it and all was well again.

You might try checking for upgraded firmware.

Good luck,
Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks