What's new

Question for Denon owners regarding the AVR-3300 and AVR-3802 (1 Viewer)

Matt_Marlow

Stunt Coordinator
I currently own the 3300. I've had it since late '99 and have been totally happy with it. It's been a real workhorse for me since it's on literally every time I watch TV, even the news, and any time I listen to music, whether it's 2 channel or DVD-Audio. I have a 5.1 Paradigm speaker setup with no plans to add any additional speakers right away because I have a large aquarium right behind my main viewing area. I'm actually kind of "attached" to this receiver because it's really the first nice piece of audio equipment that I've ever owned and it's been so reliable, never overheating despite my pushing it really hard with movies, and the sound has been totally pleasing to my non-audiophile ears.

Lately I've been reading about how great Dolby Pro-Logic II is. I know the AVR-3802 has DPL II and DTS Neo6 (as well as DTS ES and DD EX). Do you think it would be worth upgrading to the 3802 simply to get DPL II and DTS NEO? I won't be able to benefit from the ES and EX extra channels, but I think the PLII especially might come in handy. I still have quite a few pro-logic laserdiscs, some VHS tapes, and a lot pro-logic DVDs. Are there any other benefits of the 3802 over the 3300 besides the features that I've mentioned? When I do upgrade, I've just about decided to stay with Denon because of my positive experiences with the 3300. I guess I've got the upgrade bug again. I treated it last year with a new HDTV purchase and progressive DVD changer, but now I've apparently got the fever again.

Thanks!

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
Matt I'm in the same boat regarding my AVR 2700.One salesman told me that the diff. in sound would be very minimal,so you are basically paying for the features only.With all the recent developments regarding audio dropouts and new features on a receiver every 6 months,I've decided to wait until at least the summer/fall to upgrade.If a new Denon (3803?) comes out with new features that I think are useful,then I'll buy.If there is nothing to new I'll see if I can find a great price on a 3802.In Canada,the best price I can find on the 3802 is $1100 U.S. After seeing what some people are paying,I'm not paying that!! Hope this helps.

Regards,Wayner

GregoriusM

Second Unit
I own the 3300 and LOVE the sound.

I also have a Paradigm 5.1 setup. They mate wonderfully with Denon receivers, although I didn't like the sound of the 3801 compared to my 3300, or the 3802.

If you decide to upgrade to another Denon receiver, I would wait for the 3803, since it will no doubt include Dolby Headphone (haven't heard it, but they say it does enhance your headphone listening), and have better video switching (hopefully composite and s-video to component, like the 5803). Just a guess. And hopefully some other worthwhile features.

But, as much as I like Prologic 2 (to me the difference is quite good when using the media you say you have), the trade up from my 3300 is just not worth it. It just sounds great and does what I need it to do.

Personally, I'm waiting for the 3803 and then it probably will still be difficult to part with my 3300!

MHO, for what it's worth!

... Greg

Matt_Marlow

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the great suggestions. I had never considered using an 1802 as a pre-amp, but that's a great idea.

I had no idea that the 3803 might have composite and S video to component switching. That would be a fantastic feature to have in my opinion.

Since DPL II is really the only benefit I'd probably see to upgrading the 3802, I'll probably just wait and see what the 3803 has to offer. With DD and DTS movies, I have absolutely no complaints. Even with regular pro logic, especially when I watch movies off of satellite, I have no complaints either really. I'm just kind of intrigued about DPL II after reading so many positive comments about it.

One thing that makes me reluctant to replace my 3300 (actually I'd be moving it to the bedroom) is the fact that it's been so reliable. Even when buying the same brand, you occasionally get a "lemon", so you never know when you get a new piece of equipment.

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Sure, Mark! I'll bet you the 3803 will be out by the end of September!

However, the 5803 may be named as such only to REALLY make it stand out as the FLAGSHIP of the Denon line, therefore adding a few hundred bucks to the price!

See you in October!

... Greg

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Matt: In August, I did exactly what you're thinking about doing. I went from a 3300 to a 3802. And, my main purpose was DPL II. (I use my receivers as pre-amp/processors.)
I still watch quite a bit of 2 channel TV. I wanted something better than old Pro Logic. (It was often too center channel oriented.)
For me, all I can say is WOW! A LARGE improvement! DPL II makes a big difference on how much more the surround opens up. Better sense of envelopment, true full range stereo rears, and, seems like more/better bass. The center channel oriented problem is gone. When you add the availability of DPL II Music mode (which I prefer with classical but not so much with popular music), the upgrade was more than worth it for me.
Would it be enough for you?? I don't know. I think it might hinge on how much 2 channel surround you use. It is a big jump over old Pro Logic. (Enough for me to convince me to buy a small Kenwood (that includes DPL II) for my bedroom system.)
If you haven't spent much time demoing DPL II, I'd recommend checking it out at a dealer. That will make your choice easier if you hear what I'm talking about. (You may think I'm nuts! ;) )

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
I also went from the 3300 to the 3802 for PLII and 7.1 surround.

While the PLII is an excellent enhancement, I wouldn't spend the $$ unless you took advantage of the rear-center surrounds.

W/ the 3802 you can either have the rear-centers mirror the rear surrounds or set them to "matrix" info from the rear surrounds.

I had bi-pole surrounds mounted on the sides of my room...so the two additional rear-center surrounds really added to the experience. My rear-centers are actually placed in the two rear corners, angled in.

So...if your current surrounds are can be mounted on the sides...and you can add two rear-center surrounds in the back corners (on either side of the fish tank)...you may want to go for it.

You may want to consider using your current surrounds for the rear-center & adding a pair of bi-poles for the sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks