What's new

Question about Saving Private Ryan (DTS) (1 Viewer)

Roy O

Agent
Hello all. I'm new here although I have been lurking and learning a great deal for about the past 2 months.
I have a question with regards to the DVD in this topic.
I purchased Saving Private Ryan in DTS format and when inserted into my new player the DreamWorks logo comes up but there is no sound. All other DreamWorks products I have purchased have music that comes up with the logo.
Does this sound like a defect to you or is it just the way this particular disc works?
Also when my wife inserted the same DVD it said reading but nothing showed up. I had to turn the unit off then back on, open the tray and reinsert the DVD. It worked after that and the movie was great, but there still was no sound with the logo.
Thanks in advance for any advice on this particular problem and thanks for having me as a member of a knowledgeable group of Home Theater Enthusiasts.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
You'll find that many of the dedicated DTS titles (as opposed to dual DD/DTS versions) only have their logos and menus in Dolby Digital 2.0. I'm not sure why this is done, but that's just the way it is. So if your receiver is set up to only to look for DTS signals, you'll get silence.

Jeff Gibbons

Agent
I may be wrong, but I think I remember there being a very faint blowing wind sound there. You might have to crank up the volume to hear it. I know this was on at least one Dreamworks intro.
Jeff

greg_t

Screenwriter
I'm sure it is the movie because my dts SPR also has no sound during the dreamworks logo at the begining.

Roy O

Agent
Thank you. It seems there are two DreamWorks intros on this DVD. When when you first put it in and it does play with the music. The second comes up at the beginning of the movie and it does not have the music. I don't have a problem with it either way it's just different and I'm still new to this format.
Anyway the movie was great as most everything in our small collection has been so far. It's pretty amazing to see movies and feel like your in the action as the sound envelopes you. In the movie "Close Encouters of the Third Kind" I felt like it was the first time I've seen it and Twister about blew us away! What a great way to watch your favorite movies!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks