What's new

Question about Panasonic PR82, Akai 27" and progressive scan (1 Viewer)

JoshEE

Agent
I'm thinking about getting a panasonic pr82, my old sony is starting to do weird things, like jump to different scenes in the middle of movies. If I hook up the dvd player with composite video cables and put it in progessive scan mode, then set the tv to do 16:9 or "squeeze", will it work or do I need an hdtv capable set? Thanks for any help.
-Josh

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Progressive scan will do nothing for you unless you have a monitor/television that can do progressive scan. And the 27-inch Akai is interlaced only. A 16:9 mode has nothing to do with it per se. But since more players than not are being offered with prog-scan output, go ahead and buy one and use its interlaced output.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
If you want a progressive-scan picture to be played on your TV you need all of the following items:

1) A progressive-scan DVD player
2) Component cables (not composite, not S-video)
3) An HD-ready television or an HDTV or an HD monitor

If your further want that progressive-scan picture to be 16:9 enhanced, add the all of the following items:

4) A "enhanced for 16:9" DVD, aka an "anamorphic" DVD
5) A TV which does the squeeze on 480p input

If you further want to see the this enhanced DVD at its full 480-line resolution, change the last item to:

5a) A TV which does a real squeeze by collapsing the raster, rather than one that does the fake squeeze by throwing away 1/4 of the lines in the picture.

Hope this helps!

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
An often-overlooked requirement for getting a "16:9 enhanced" picture is that both the DVD player and the TV have to be set to 16:9 mode, although if you set the DVD players to 16:9 outpu some TV's will set themselves to 16:9 input automatically.
Of course, if you have a 16:9 TV then it's set to that mode all the time :)

JoshEE

Agent
Thanks for all the replies!
I think i'm gonna go ahead and get the pr82, i've heard a lot of good things about it and need the coaxial digital out.
Once again, thanks for the help, i'm very impressed with this forum, very quick responses and everyone seems to be pretty mature compared to the others i've visited.
-Josh

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
I like to think we're as mature as possible for a bunch of geeks who invest their valuable lifespan worrying about how to get the very best picture while watching a stupid movie that's a waste of time in the first place...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks