What's new

Question about 7.1 Ch Receivers (1 Viewer)

Dave***G

Auditioning
I recently upgraded my receiver and speakers thanks to a nice bonus at work. :D Without doing much research, I decided to go with a medium price range 7.1 set up, (Guess I figured I would stay ahead of the technology curve for a couple of years). But recently I'm starting to think this is overkill. I don't own a SACD / DVD-A player, I pretty much just use it for DVDs and as far as I can tell there aren't any 7.1 channel DVDs yet.

Can anyone tell me why a 7.1 ch setup is a good idea?

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Matrixed rear surrounds.

I notice a NICE difference between 5.1 with my surrounds @ sidwes vs. my 7.1 with rear surrounds added and I don't even have recommended seating setup for it. Sofa is 1.5-2' from rear wall. Rear surrounds on stands firing up towards ceiling.
REALLY noticeable during RE2 last night (my 1014 and rear surround setup is only 1 week old) and also on some THX demo's. REALLY noticeable there.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
7.1 is not a format, 6.1 IS. In a 7.1 setup, the rear centers are playing the same thing as if you had a 6.1 setup. For SACD and DVD-A, they are both 5.1 only, I am not aware of any 6.1 titles.

7.1 is a good idea in a very large room. In a typical room, 6.1 should be sufficient, and even 5.1 is already pretty darn good. If I had a way to do it in my current room, I'd go back to 6.1, but 5.1 is doing fine for now.

John S

Senior HTF Member
DTS 6.1 DTS NEO:6, DPLIIx and DD EX are the best reasons I suppose. I also like it, even with the people I know that have simply attached two speakers to their 6.1 rear channel. 5.1 is fine and dandy as well for sure though.

Dave***G

Auditioning
Thanks for all the replies.

So are there are movies out there in DTS 6.1 format (etc.)?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Your right, most are DTS 5.1. I am sure I have a couple in real 6.1 though. I'd have to take a hard look at my collection to tell you which ones. Not many for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks