What's new

Pushing the max out of your sub? (1 Viewer)

Greg P

Stunt Coordinator
I have a sealed 1503, and I was wondering if I will know when it bottoms? Will it be like an SVS and have that clanking or jackhammer like sound.

I also have a question about the amp? I have a Crest Lt-1000(Awesome amp highly recomended) and it has a clip protection and line leveler phase when it reaches a certain point. Is it ok if it peaks into this region as long as its not constant?

My sub is fine after the beating it had tonight, I just had one scene on Joy Ride where the sub when into the red area and sounded pretty distorted. I dont think it bottomed. Is this OK for the amp and woof?

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Ive got an 1803, and I have not been able to even get close to bottoming it. The xsus is like 3.25 p to p. I think the spider is progressive and gets harder to move the more the driver excurrs. I can easily get it to distort, because I have yet to power it with more than 600w. You would probably hear the clanking noise if it were bottoming. I would guess you would need more than 2kW to get it to smack the backplate though.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Greg

Smaller sealed boxes take more power to light up the house. I've never been able to get even close to bottoming a 1503 in a ported or PR based design, my ears give out first.

Try turning off the protection and see what happens. It's not going to harm the driver if the red lights flicker briefly every now and then.

Was the amp hot when you heard the noise?

Greg P

Stunt Coordinator
No, the amp was not hot at all. I think because there was so much bass energy and the room was rattling so bad I thought it might be the driver. I guess it was just everything in the room. When bass levels get that high though if its not your sub, your afraid something in the room may break.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks