What's new

PS2 problem with component cables (1 Viewer)

Cory R. B.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm suffering a weird little problem with my PS2. I'm using Sony Component cables with the Samsung 27" HDTV.

I switch the TV/Video to DVD, then turn on the PS2. When it boots up, all the menues are lightly flickering. Not that bad, but definitely noticeable even if you aren't looking for it. If I switch the TV/Video channel to anything else, then back to DVD, the flickering is gone. I thought it was just a coincedence, but I've tried numerous times and the flickering is always gone when I turn back to DVD.

If I then reset the PS2, it will start up and be flickering again. I'll then changet he channel back and forth, and it will be gone again. If I turn the PS2 on first, then switch to DVD, the flickering isn't there.

Given all this info, I'm bound to think it's a weird thing with my TV. Unless the PS2 signal is messed up and the TV effectively has to "reboot" to read it properly. I mean, my XBox in 480i mode and my Gamecube in 480i mode don't ever do this, and no S-Video or A/V devices do this either.

Anyone have any insight on this, or could suggest something I could do, even if just to test the problem better?

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
It's more than likely the TV having a hard time dealing with the change of signal from nothing to your PS2. I had a TV that necessitated changing from video-in to antenna and back whenever I turned on a game system, too...

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Cory,

Sounds like a strange problem. Let me suggest something though. Where the component cable jacks into the back of the PS2... wiggle that a bit, so it's not entirely inserted into the rear of the machine, and tell me if you see the flickering disappear.

The reason I suggest this is, when I had my PS2 hooked up via component cables (I've since gone back to s-video, because the DVD player took the component spot), I got intense flickering that resembled a scrambled cable channel. When I gently wiggled and tweaked the cable at the source (PS2) I was able to get a solid signal again.

However, it sounds like your problem is a tad bit complicated than mine was. Good luck.

~j

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks