What's new

Repetitive Faint lines...any fix? (1 Viewer)

Tyrone Burton

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyrone Burton
Hello guys, new poster here. I posted a question about this before somewhere else but since then i have never been able to fix it.Basically running a component cable from a PS2 Slim into a Denon AVR, and then outputted via HDMI I see quick moving faint lines (they look like their tinted with a bit of color too), this doesn't happen if I simply connect the PS2 directly to the display, and also doesn't happen if I use the component output of my AVR.A member of another forum advised me before to try and disconnect either of the Pb or Pr connectors and leave the luminance connected. Doing that I saw that taking out the red cable reduced it a little, and taking out the blue cable didn't reduce it all, if that helps in any way I have two other sources that use component cables and can output perfectly, no faint lines at all, even when converted to HDMI. Just because I was curious, I also tested the component cables with my PS3 slim, see if that had any problems, and it did, but only when the resolution was set to "Standard (PAL)". The other resolutions were fine.All my components are connected to the same power outlet (I use a surge protected pug socket extension) so in hoping it isn't a ground loop issue. And just In case it helps the component cable I use for the PS2 is the Sony PS3 Official one.I thought I'd be as detailed as possible. Do any of you have an idea what could be going on, and is there a way to fix it? My best guess myself is it could be the PS2s power supply? Any help would be awesome, thanks..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I know nothing of PAL broadcast...No need for a "yank" to know much about it...but.

Have you tried changing the resolution on the PS2? I assume you are using 1080I, have you tried 720P...or vice versa?

Which AVR is it? Is it capable of scaling "an already HD signal" to 1080P? Have you turned the scaling off?

Tyrone Burton

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyrone Burton
The only time you can really change the resolution on the PS2 is if the game itself supports it. I only know of one PS2 game with 1080i support, but I don't have it unfortunately (Gran Tourismo 4). However I have a few games that can output 480p from the PS2 instead of 576i, I'll give that a try later. And the Model of my AVR is the Denon AVR 2313. I have the scaling set to 480p/576p, I set it that way to use the receiverss deinterlacer rather than my TVs.

Tyrone Burton

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyrone Burton
Ok I tried a PS2 game using a 480p signal instead of 576i and no lines appear. It seems to be ok with a progressive signal.I tried my Wii via component through the AVR again, but I set the resolution to the same as the PS2, 576i @ 50hz, and no moving faint lines. I'm starting to think this is either my component cable for the PS2, or some kind of electrical disagreement between the AVR and the PS2. I'm not sure if I should try and buy a new PS2 power supply or different component cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks