PS2 Pelican "Hd Compatible" lightun not really HD compatible

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

so i finally bought a lightgun for my PS2 thinking i could use it with my HDTV..i really wanted to play Vampire Night and Time Crisis 2 - but when i bought the Pelican brand gun with the "Hd Ready" sticker on the box, i took it home to find it's not really HD compatible at all. You still have to use the composite video outputs of the PS2...those of us with HD's are using component cables for progressive scan games, so we'd have to totally unplug the ps2 component connection and rewire our setups just to play the game.

This actually upsets me more because of something else, though - the fact that this really doesn't bode well for any truly HD compatible gun to be released 3rd party for Xbox and House of the Dead 3. :-(

oh well.

2. Michael St. Clair

Speaking of XBox, when HotD3 comes out in Japan, Sega is releasing an official light gun. You'll be able to buy it here as an import for $50.
    Of course it probably won't add HD support to the game...I don't think the game is coded for it...which makes no freakin' sense, as you can play the Dreamcast HotD2 in 480p with a Madcatz gun!

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Unless they lock out the Japanese gun like they did on Dreamcast because they licensed the technology out.

The reason why you stil have to plug it in to composite is because the games are expecting that sort of linkage. By "HD compatible" it just means that it'll work with 480p that your television converts to

4. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

So I'm assuming that the gun would also work with the S-video cable as well, right?

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You need to provide it a composite in to the actual gun. No guns take S-Video or component

GunCon compatible programs are only programmed for that sort of input, NOT S-Video or component

6. Michael St. Clair

A Guncon has a sync-stripper that removes sync from a composite video signal. You don't have to drive the screen itself with composite, you can use a special adaptor to get both composite and s-vid (or even component) and the games will work fine...as long as the graphics are displayed with 480i timings.

It would be worth hooking the game up with composite just as a test to see if this gun really has a circuit to automatically handle the 480i->480p conversion of typical HDTVs.

7. WillY

WillY Stunt Coordinator

Do the guns that come with Time Crisis 2 work with standard definition projection TV's? I am moving and my roommate has one. I love gun games and bought it when it first came out, only to discover that it didn't work with my HDTV. I pretty much was so disgusted I stopped playing PS2. But I am willing to break it out again if this game will work on a projection screen.

BTW, does anyone know if the XBox will have a gun that is high def compatible?

8. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Now I'm confused. I could have sworn that my brother was connecting his Guncon2 to the USB port for vsync, not the old composite wire trick. Fortunately, I've got my old PS1 composite passthrough cable anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue.

9. Robert Scott

Robert Scott Auditioning

Interestingly enough, the Guncon is capable of removing sync from just the luminance signal. I've personally connected a Guncon to the luminance connector on a Commodore 1084S monitor with split luminance/chrominance. I've read that the same thing can be done using the luminance (green) connector on a 480i component input.

FWIW, my Guncon2 works great with the 480p signal output by my XRGB-2 upscan converter (PS2 to adaptor to Guncon2 and RGB cable to XRGB-2).

10. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

On the back of the Time Crisis 2 box, it shows an adaptor that can be used to connect the Guncon 2 via a component video cable. I don't know where or how to get it, but it's out there......somewhere.[​IMG]