What's new

projector distance from screen (I am Lost) (1 Viewer)

Jimmy_marquez

Auditioning
PLEASE HELP!! I am remodeling my theater ...I scored a full size screen from a theater that closed down as well as 24 theater seats ! they said if I haul'em I can have em' so i did ...I have a great theater now but I am going to go nuts on it this time ....ok so the problem I am having is I am going to a larger screen (much much larger) I have a zenith projector that is supposed to go as large as 200" I am going 140".. last time I hung the projector i just got lucky and it came out good but I want to have an exact measurement to mount it. from the figures I have found 15.3 feat is what I came up with does that sound right????
thanks for your help in advance.. :D

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
If it is a CRT projector then you should rethink your "bigger is better" position. Those Zenith CRTs (ANY CRT for that matter) just don't have the light output to properly drive a screen anywhere near the size you are contemplating. Color saturation will be poor and the image will be dim at best. You have to seriously overdrive the CRTs just to get a picture that approaches acceptable and phosphor burn will follow shortly. If you really want such a parge screen you should look into a D-ILA projector. It's the only type of projector available that can comfortably drive a screen of the size that you desire. The size specs of the Zenith are pure BS. 110" diagonal is pushing it. You're way beyond that. Good luck.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
To add to what Bill said, we can't give you throw distance guidance without knowing your projector. The throw specs are very different for different projectors. Remember that throw distance is a function of image element size and aperture, lens focal length, whether the lens is fixed or zoom, and so on.

For example, At work we have LCD projectors that throw an eight-foot diagonal image with a throw distance of about six feet. On the other hand, for my DILA G15 to throw a twelve-foot wide image, the throw distance is nearly twenty feet. (It can be closer with use of the zoom lens.)

-greg

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
What kind of projector do you have? Is it a CRT projector that needs to be in a fixed location. If it is "portable" then I suggest you unhang it and try it out so that it displays a 140" size (although I tend to agree about light output being dim, plus resolution not being that great either). How large is your room?

Jimmy_marquez

Auditioning
thanks for your input guys the projector is a zenith pv875v its an older one but gives me a great picture now @ 100" my room is 13x20' I held the folded up theater screen to my current da-lite and the picture is much more crisp and bright the like I had said before it is a full size theater screen ..I belive its 15x30' I cant unroll it for I dont have a room large enough to hold it ...well looks like its time for a new projector too I waxs hoping to put the zenith up until I could afford one....and yes it is a crt...thanks again
Jimmy
www.geocities.com/meinlv_1999/theater.html
there are pics there

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks