What's new

Progressive Scan Quality question (1 Viewer)

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I've had an HDTV for over a year now, but just never got around to buying a progressive scan DVD player until now. Will I notice a jump in quality over 480i?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Only if its a model with a top-rated de-interlacer (Faroudja or Silicon Image chip) - the cheaper models probably won't de-interlacer any better than your HDTV does. I'd recommend a Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 or Denon DVD-1600, DVD-910, DVD-2200, DVD-2900.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Depends on how good the line doubler is in your set and how good the de-interlacing is in the dvd player.

If that set is a Pioneer, Sony, or Toshiba you won't see as big an improvement as you would with most Mitsubishis, and if the player is a $50 loss leader no-name you won't see as much if any improvement as you would with a decent major brand player.

The advantage of the Faroudja and Silicon image players is mainly seen when playing video based material or poorly flagged dvds, won't necessarily show on a well-authored film based disc. I've got a Faroudja chipped Panny and a current model JVC and with non-problem discs actually prefer the JVC. With video based stuff and poorly authored discs like Red Violin, the Panny really shines.

My set is a 2 1/2 year old Sony KP57HW40. I have the Panny, which outputs 480p via component and 480i via S-video connected via both component and S-video thru my receiver whose onscreen menus won't show via component. This allows me to use the onscreen receiver menus while doing audio calibration with AVIA. I sometimes switch over to a regular dvd and forget to switch inputs on the
from S to Component. The pq is better on progressive component but the difference is not so apparent that I don't sometimes forget to switch back over to progressive component inputs on the tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks