What's new

progressive scan dvd / is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
hey all,
I just got the Toshiba 50h81 and i have a plain Panasonic DVD player (plain as in non progressive scan etc. - but is DD/DTS) and Im wondering if the jump to progressive scan is worth it. I currenty have a Sony DD/DTS home theater surround system with seperate Sony speaker package. the sound is great..and im sure when I hook my dvd player up to my new tv with the expensive component (Y, Pr, Pb) cables, the picture will be astounding too..but will progressive scan be the next logical step?
please let me know..thanks a lot!!!!
------------------
- Jason
My DVD Collection

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I own a Toshiba TW56x81 HDTV and found the upgrade to progressive scan, JVC 723, very worth while. The progressive scan player will provide a very film like picture and eliminate jettering and jagged edges. Also the JVC 723 will convert correctly flagged letterbox DVD's, Armagedden, Abyss, Clear and Present Danger to name a few to anamorphic 16 x 9. The picture quality improves and in some cases Armagedden, Dune 2000, Abyss, you would be fooled into thinking you were watching the DVD in true anamorphic.
The price for these players has dropped to under $300.00 and I for one strongly recommend the purchase of a progressive scan unit.

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Ernest. Have a new TOSH 65H80 here and a new JVC PS player feeding it. The difference between standard and PS modes is very noticeable here.

HughScot

Grip
Yes it is worth it IMHO. I just upgraded from an older top of line Sony to the Pioneer 38A and the difference well worth the money. If you haven't read the review this month's The Perfect Vision, issue 38, has a great review on the Sony DVP-NS700P which you can get for $299. and TPV loved it. Hopes this helps.
------------------
Hugh Campbell

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Yes PS is definitely worth it. If all you can afford is the $250 JVC then go that route. If you can spend $450, get the new Panasonic RP-91. It is much better than the JVC and also offers scaling.
If you look around you can find a tosh 5109 or a 6200. both are also very nice units.
Regards
gregg
------------------
The Sonodome
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
The Family Units

Jason,
You didn't mention which Panasonic player you currently own, but I've recently upgraded from a Panasonic A-110 to the RP91 for my Tosh TW40X81. Not only did I benefit from the improved progressive video and all that it brings, but the new player was a giant improvement in audio as well. In fact, I was more floored by the audio improvement than the video... okay, almost, but it was a pleasant surprise.
Matt

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
Thanks everyone,
Im sure that the PS will be the next major improvement on my HT.
By the way, Im currently using the Panasonic DVD-A120U, which IMO has good sound. (DD and DTS)
Thanks again!!
------------------
- Jason
My DVD Collection | My Home Theater
AIM: jkat98
--------------------
"yeah, whatcha got here is two people dragging a third..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks