What's new

Problems with aspect ratio - City of God (R3) (1 Viewer)

Justin Spike

Agent
I just got this DVD, and when I popped it in there were no black bars on the top and bottom (yes, I'm using a 4:3 TV :frowning:). Instead the picture appeared stretched vertically to fill the screen. I played with the output modes on my DVD player: letterbox, widescreen, P&S, and I got the same result with all three.

What could be causing this? Furthermore, the disc is supposed to be anamorphic, and I planned to show it next week at my friend's house on his widescreen set. Has anyone experienced similiar problems on a 16:9 TV?

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
This sounds strange. I have the Region 3 disc and do not recall any problem. I viewed it with projection setup in anamorphic mode. My disc is from Panarama Distributors and the product number is PANDVD308159. Is your DVD the same source?
The disc I have is Hong Kong release.

Justin Spike

Agent
Yes, that's the same disc I have. I'm thinking this is a problem with my DVD player, not the disc. I'm using the Apex A600 - it's a real shitbox, and this is only the second time I've experimented with the region switching capability of the player - the other time was when I played my R2 Eyes Wide Shut, and I had no problems there. I'm at a loss.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
If you have access to a different player give that a try. Eyes Wide Shut might not be a good comparison as it is 4X3 rather than anamorphic wide.

Matt Shiv

Agent
My first thought was because you had a PAL disc, but the Region 3 should be NTSC. I used to have a cheap region free player and it could play PAL discs but it couldn't downconvert the 16X9 transfer at the same time. As a result, everything I tried to watch that was anamorphic and PAL was stretched out on my 4X3 tv. I ended up getting a new player and didn't have that problem anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks