What's new

Problem with reciever electric related? (1 Viewer)

Mike Redd

Auditioning
I have the TX-SR601 Onkyo reciever hooked up to my computer through a coax cable to my mobo and sony DVD player. I have Canton Plus MX speakers hooked up to it. Sorry I tried to post links to product specs but I need to post 15 times.

The problem I'm having is the audio cutting out for about half a second. It happens whenever I hit the light/fan switch or when the air conditioner comes on. Which is often so I get about 3 or 4 cutouts a minute which gets really annoying. So I guess it has something to do with the power.

I had the matience guy come over, who worked as an electrician for a while and he thought it may have been the switch in the main room of the apartment. So he checked all the wires going to my room and tightened them up. This was behind the light and fan switch in the living room. But this still happens.

This happens whether the DVD player is hooked up or the computer is so I know its not either of those.

Anyone have any idea what this is or how to fix it?

CLIFF NOTES:

Onkyo reciever hooked up to speaker setup
sound cuts out for half a second when light/fan is switched on
why?

Any advice would be much appreciated

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Have you tried a different outlet? If its an old place, it's probably bad wiring inside the walls.

Power conditioner?

Mike Redd

Auditioning
I haven't tried a different outlet. The place was built 2 years ago.

I will try one though. If I get an extension cord would that be OK?

And what is a power conditioner?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A power conditioner keeps unwanted junk (spikes, surges, etc...) out of your electronic devices, and I would recommend one in Austin. There are also power stabilizers that will maintain an even voltage as long as the input is sufficient, but they aren't cheap.

www.powersystemsdirect.com should have something that will fit your price range. Take a look at the Panamax lines.

An extension cord would be OK to test out, but don't try to use it for extended periods.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks