What's new

Problem with one of my Klipsch speakers. Please help! (1 Viewer)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Administrators:
I don't know if this belongs here but I figured that it was my best shot. If it should be moved then please do so.
My speakers:
Main: Klipsch Kg-4
Center: Klipsch Kv-3
Surrounds: Klipsch Rs-3
I was re-calibrating my system with Avia last week and when I ran the tones I noticed that the left speaker was 1 dB lower on the sound meter. I switched the L+R speakers and re-tested. Now the right speaker was lower by 1 dB.
I've verified that it's not the amp (switched in a pair of Kg-3's) and that the problem is following the speaker. I set the main volume to output a reading of 85 dB on the sound meter. I get 85 dB from all the speakers but this one. From the suspect speaker I'm getting a solid 84 dB. It doesn't matter if it's connected to the L or R channel it's still reading lower. I verified that my bass management as well as all of my connections are set up properly
The thing that worries me is that the last time I calibrated I didn't measure/hear a difference. Sure, the two speakers weren't EXACTLY the same measurement but they were close. Now there's a clear difference. I don't know if something's wrong but I suspect that there is
I don't know an awful lot about the guts of a speaker so I don't know how to diagnose the offending part. If it's a driver will it continue it's downward spiral and become obvious? Any other ideas on what it might be? If there's a problem I'd like to try to fix it before any more damage occurs.
Originally I thought that the main speaker that was reading higher was the problem. I've come to the realization that it's probably not that one.
Any ideas? Please help.
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!
[Edited last by Jim_C on August 31, 2001 at 08:59 AM]
[Edited last by Jim_C on August 31, 2001 at 09:01 AM]

Westly T

Second Unit
Try switching the left and right speaker, not the connection, move the speakers. Have you added some different furniture? Has anything in your room changed?
------------------
- Wes
My Home Theater
The MMG were replaced with 1.6QR's and added Marantz MA-700's. SVS is here. Ok, allot more then that has changed, I'll update my page some day...

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Sorry if I wasn't clear originally. I did move the speakers from left to right. The problem followed the speaker to its new location. I checked the connections and all were fine. I'm 99.99% sure that it's not the amp or connections.
The only thing in the room that's changed is my mood
angry.gif

------------------

Bill_Mazz

Auditioning
I had a similiar problem with a Klipsch 4.5. The 10" driver went out after 3 years. The local Klipsch dealer replaced it for free because it was within the 5 year warranty. The warranty was honored even though my receipt was from Audio Excellence, a mail order dealer.
Since you have an older model, it's probably more than 5 years old and out of warranty. 1 db is not much of a difference if the problem does not get worse. I have at least that due to room positioning alone and you can correct for it with the balance knob on your receiver. Good luck.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Bill,
I agree with you about the 1dB not being a big difference. My concern is that this might be the first symptom of a problem that's only going to get worse.
If the speaker doesn't show any other problems then I think that it'll be fine.
I don't think that I can order original parts for it anymore (it's the 1985 model) so I'm considering picking up a second pair of Kg-4's off Ebay to use for that purpose. I'm hoping that it doesn't get to that though.
------------------

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
You might want to unplug your speakers, clean up all the wiring, and replug. Then check again and see if everything is still the same. Also might want to try swapping cables just take make sure that they aren't the problem.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
UPDATE
I believe that I've narrowed the problem down to the tweeter. Let me explain...
I mounted my SPL meter on my tripod and set it up 6" from the speaker (set to 70 dB). With the meter pointed directly at the speaker itself I adjusted the height so that the meter was along the centerline of the lower woofer. I then ran the Avia test tones.
The lowest woofer on both the L+R speakers registered 72 dB. I then raised the centerpole of the tripod so that the meter was inline with the upper woofer and repeated the test. Both the L+R upper woofers registered 70 dB.
Now it gets interesting. I raised the meter to be along centerline of the tweeter and performed the test. One speaker registered 68 dB and the other registered 64 dB.
This indicates to me that one of the tweeters has a problem. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?
------------------
[Edited last by Jim_C on August 31, 2001 at 09:44 PM]

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
You can call Klipsch, or check out the Klipsch forum at www.klipsch.com. There are some very knowledgable people there that know a lot about Klipsch speakers. I am sure someone will tell you to call Trey at Klipsch - he can probably help you out. I have never talked to him, but I see people recommending to call him all of the time.
Good luck!
------------------
Thanks,
Bryan
"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"
Mistubishi 60" RPTV (VS60603)
Denon AVR 3802 RCVR
Denon DVM 1800 DVD
JVC 3600U SVHS VCR
RCA DirecTV
Klipsch RB5 - L&R
Klipsch RC3 - Center
Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall surrounds
Klipsch KSW12 - Sub (Hopefully an RSW12 whenever they come out!)
Monster Power Conditioner
Radio Shack Gold Series Interconnects
Radio Shack 12 AWG Mega Cable

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Bryan. I've got a similar post going over at the Klipsch BB as well as here at HTF. I'm trying to pull together as much info as I can.
I think that I'll be calling Trey sometime next week.
------------------

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
It should be easy to proove that its the tweeter. You will need a CD with test frequencies. You can download and burn MP3's or purchase "Lasertrack" from Ubid or something similar. A 300 or so HZ tone will be played exclusively by the woofer and a 5,000 Hz tone will be played by the tweeters. Then measure a couple inches from the drivers, compare right to left.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks