What's new

Probably a simple remote control question (1 Viewer)

Lance Hworth

Auditioning
I'm sure this is a simple problem that everyone else has figured out. Please help me!

I have an RCA Direct TV receiver with Dolby Digital. I just purchased a Sony STR-DA1ES A/V receiver. I connected the two with an optical cable. This means that the volume now has to be controlled by the A/V receiver.

The Sony came with a very good leaning remote, however, the Direct TV remote has so many special keys that it seems like I would be better off using it instead. I can not get the RCA remote to control the Sony volume though.

I see where GE, RCA, etc. all sell universal remotes that have similar layout of the Direct TV remote but also contol audio equipment. I just want to be able to control the satelite easily but also the sound through the A/V receiver. On these new remotes, will the volume buttons not default to control the TV's volume? Since the TV doesn't control the volume now, can I reprogram them to work with the A/V receiver?

I'm just looking for a simple solution. Thank you for any help!

AngeloR

Auditioning

Here's a simple, affordable solution to clear up your remote woes... the Sony RM-VL900. I have been able to take all my remotes above and put them into one easy to use remote (yes, the pic above are my actual remotes). The remote goes for about $59 at Best Buy (I got it for $35 off eBay). It's an IR remote, but I was able to program my Dish UHF remote into the CBL/SAT mode which was exactly what I was looking for. I could even program the PVR (Tivo) functions, as well as DishHome buttons!
I was able to program 98% of all functions with this remote. All the remote needed was 2 more buttons... Only thing I'm missing is the PG Up/Dn for scrolling through the Dish Guide page by page instead of one by one. Also on the 5-disc sony, I don't have buttons to next/prev disc.
What I really like is the 3 "System Control" macro buttons. I have macro #1 setup to turn on the TV, turn on the A/V receiver and switch it to TV/SAT, and turn on the Dish PVR-508 (instead of hitting TV then Power then AMP then power then CBL/SAT then power). Macro #2 turns the A/V receiver to DVD audio and turns on the power to the DVD player. Macro #3 turns off the DVD, switches the A/V receiver back to TV/SAT, then put the remote into CBL/SAT mode so I can change channels on the Dish.
You can setup the volume control on the remote in one of 2 modes...
Mode 1 - When in TV, VCR, CBL/SAT, or DVD mode, pressing volume will turn up/down the TV volume. When in CD, MD, Tape, or AMP mode, pressing volume will turn up/down the AMP volume.
Mode 2 - Pressing the volume will turn up/down the AMP volume. This is great for those (like me) who don't use the TV speaker and run all audio through the your A/V receiver.
• View a full picture of this remote here.
• Read a very in-depth review of the RM-VL900 here at RemoteCentral.com.
I can say that this remote works extremely well for me and my family (my 7yr old can use it very easily). We had all the remotes above in an actual remote holder sitting in the middle of the couch... now we only use the VL900.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
for a measly $100ish bucks, you can get a Pronto TS1000, assuming you like touchscreen. I love mine. And I have it controlling all of my equipment quite well, which includes: TiVO, Sony TV, Yamaha Receiver, Sony VCR, Panasonic DVD, Sony CD. One of the best things about the Pronto is being able to use discrete codes (in addition to macro capabilities), which means you can have separate power on/off buttons whereas the equipment might only have a toggle.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i suspect it's rare that a tv's remote will allow itself to control a receiver. the opposite may be more likely possible.
unless your rca remote specifically can be programmed or has a learning capability (more on that below) then you're probably out of luck.
as already suggested, you may want to go with an after-market programmable remote. most of these learn by one of two ways. either you punch in a code or you point the two remotes together so that the programmable can "learn" the other remote. tbh, i much prefer the second method.
one other thing to consider is the hard-button vs. soft-button issue. some people don't like large lcd panels like the one jeff pictured because you often have to look at the remote to see where the button is. on a hard-remote you can "feel" your way around.
also, be sure to check out www.remotecentral.com - it's one of the best sites when it comes to remote controls.
btw - i have a hometheater master mx-500 and love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks