1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Proac Response 2.5 Clone Project

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Deacon, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

I'm trying to gather enough information on the Proac 2.5 clone to begin building the speaker. I have visited the website. Does anybody here have any advice concerning this project? Specifically, what did you line the inside walls with and did you include any kind of stuffing.

What about bracing. From what I've learned, there is no internal bracing. I guess the material used to line the inside walls dampens enough to cancel any external vibrations. This is why I'm interested in the wall material. Thanks for any help.

2. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

I guess I'll be the first to build these. I'll let y'all know how they turn out.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I would suggest checking out the discussion board over on Madisound for this DIY kit. Good luck!

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

5. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Proac Response 2.5 clone update: I have received the tweeters and just today they delivered the mids/woofs. The boxes are together except the front baffle. I am in the process of lining the inside of the boxes with 3 layers of 30# roofing felt from Home Depot for damping. I am now debating whether I need more bracing other than the port brace. Maybe I'll put a small brace between the port and bottom of the cabinet. Once the damping, port, and braces are in place I will put the baffle on.

I plan on veneering the outside before routing the driver holes. This is a super bold move for me. If I screw up the routing the box is pretty much toast. But, if I don't screw up, the flush mount drivers will look perfect. At this point I feel confident.

6. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Have you considered applying the veneer later and using a flush trim router bit (or perhaps a pilot bit) on the driver openings?

7. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

I can use a flush trim bit on any hole that doesn't require the driver to be flush mounted to the surface. The recess would not be deep enough for the trim bit bearing.