What's new

PRIDE & PREJUDICE (A&E) - A new version in anamorphic widescreen 9/25 (1 Viewer)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
The current Region 1 DVD version (now Out of Print) of the BBC mini-series Pride and Prejudice is fullframe, and of very poor video quality. (I know, I have it.)
Amazon.com has listed it for re-release on 9/25/2001, but without any details.
I did some searching and found that there is a Region 2 version in anamorphic widescreen with much improved video quality and a making-of feature. Here is a review.
Apparently this is the version that A&E will release in September. That's what people are saying on the P&P forums at A&E and www.pemberley.com ; supposedly that word is from A&E customer service.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
This would indeed be welcom news.
The last I heard was that we were probably going to get an image-master re-hash inspite of the fact that the R2 version is widescreen and (!!!) 16x9.
That would be an absolute crime.
I hope that A&E has heard our R1 P&P cries of woe...and decided to give us the quality widescreen/16x9 version we deserve.
Looks like there are some problems with the forum right now...but if the old messages aren't lost and I can do a search I'll post the link from the previous discussion here too.
Any updates or confirmations please let us know!
-dave

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I sent A&E an inquiry about it. We'll see how they respond.
Meantime, I went ahead and put my current copy up for sale at Amazon Marketplace and somebody snapped it up for $95 immediately. Since it is "Out of Print" the current version, bad as it is, is going for a premium right now. I figure I can just buy it again for much less in September, even if it is the same old junk. (My wife requires that we have a copy but will do without it for a couple of months.)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
(My wife requires that we have a copy but will do without it for a couple of months.)
Yep, my wife loves that mini-series and recorded in on Polaroid VHS at SLP while in college.
Since we should never let our loved ones suffer through something we would never accept, I've been wanting to get it for her on DVD.
I'm glad the poor quality was pointed out here. Plus if the new version is in widescreen format, she'll like it better anyway.
------------------
scott.jpg

Recently, we sneaked into the Klingon's engine and replaced dilithium crystals with new Folger's Crystals.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Oh PLEASE A&E, make it so!!!
MY wife's birthday is 5 days after this alleged release date. Birthday shopping couldn't possibly be easier if this is true.
She always gives me grief when she can't get the laserdisc player going. She frequently wants to watch P&P on a whim while I'm not home/asleep. SHe can watch that thing straight on until 4:00am!!! I don't think I could make it through the premiere of SW:Episode 2 at 4am!!!
Chris
[Edited last by Chris Brunner on July 24, 2001 at 07:17 AM]

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Everyone,
make sure you go to A&E.com and send them an email asking that the new DVD contain a 16x9 anamorphic widescreen presentation and the "making of" feature contained in the R2 pressing.
Let those voices be heard.
-dave

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
FYI -
They were selling for $100-$120 on ebay until a couple of days ago, when the closing prices dipped to $75-$80. There is a "Buy It Now" for $99.95, which no one has opted for.
So, news travels fast, and I think your sale of $95 is pretty good, especially considering that the Sept. 25th listing is right there at Amazon.
As I type this (remember that many people read these messages), the top "pre-order" at half.com (not the same term, here it means that someone has agreed to buy a used one at that price) is $50.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I noticed Amazon has it for < $30. Why is it so cheap?
------------------
scott.jpg

Recently, we sneaked into the Klingon's engine and replaced dilithium crystals with new Folger's Crystals.

Rick Mach

Auditioning
I posted my copy of P&P on Amazon last night and it sold in less than an hour for the listing price of $99.99. I went and preordered the new version for Amazon today. Thanks for the info!!

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
That's the pre-order for the September 25th release.
I noticed that it was the pre-order, but the other version was often more than $40. Is the new one a single disc version?
------------------
scott.jpg

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Another update -- A&E never replied, but now I see that they have updated their webstore to once again include the DVD set. No significant disc details are given, but the box artwork is new and clearly says "The Special Edition" on the top. Here's the link:
Link Removed
EDIT: Hmm. A&E has a web page design that appears to make it difficult to give a direct link that stays the same. My original link above didn't work after awhile. Go to the above and search for it from there.
[Edited last by Glenn Heberle on August 01, 2001 at 08:52 AM]

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Continuing their tradition of incredibly low pricing on A&E DVD titles, DeepDiscountDVD has now added P&P for the excellent price of only $19.18, with FREE shipping. That's well below Amazon's $29.99 + shipping.
Pride and Prejudice SE at DDD

Lisel

Stunt Coordinator
So I taped the original TV airing here in the States and bought the laserdisc, the A&E DVD and the Region 2 import - but you can bet I'll also buy the forthcoming R1 release, just in case my Apex breaks. :)
Lisel

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Any word on whether this new set is actually anamorphic? Amazon is the only site that says so, and DVD Planet says no. DVD price search says "LBX".
Why is it so hard to find out whether a given title is anamorphic? Grr...
If it is, I'll order it. If not I won't. Until I find out, I'm in limbo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks