What's new

Preview the Coming TPM DVD, Today!(HDTV only) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
From theforce.net:
DVD in the near future for Episode I:
As you already know, Episode I will be coming to a television near you on April 29th. What you may not know is that it will be simulcast in DTV as well (sponsored by RCA and Panasonic). It will be shown in the 480p resolution, in Dolby Digital EX Surround Sound, and in all its Widescreen glory! For the lucky few that have a digital television (best viewed with a widescreen set), an HD top-box, an outdoor antenna, 7.1 A/V Receiver, and live within 30 to 35 miles of the TV station broadcasting the signal, this is the same format as the eventual DVD. The stations taking part in this broadcast are as follows:
Market Affiliate: Analog Channel/Digital Channel
New York WNYW: 5/44
Los Angeles KTTV: 11/65
Chicago WFLD: 32/31
Philadelphia WTXF: 29/42
San Francisco KTVU: 2/56
Boston WFXT: 25/31
Dallas KDFW: 4/35
Washington D.C. WTTG: 5/36
Detroit WJBK: 2/58
Atlanta WAGA: 5/27
Houston KRIV: 26/27
Seattle KCPQ: 13/18
Tampa WTVT: 13/12
Cleveland WJW: 8/31
Miami WSVN: 7/8
Phoenix KSAZ: 10/31
Denver KDVR: 31/32
Sacramento KXTL: 40/55
St. Louis KTVI: 2/43
Orlando WOFL: 35/22
Portland, OR KPDX: 49/48
Baltimore WBFF: 45/46
Indianapolis WXIN: 59/45
Charlotte WCCB: 18/27
Raleigh WRAZ: 50/49
Cincinnati WXIX: 19/29

Mike H

Stunt Coordinator
All I know is that I'm wondering how to hook a digital STB to my local TV... :) I'm upset though that this title still hasn't made it to DVD, but ah, I digress.
mike
------------------

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Only 480P? I'd love to blame this travesty on Luca$, but this is one case where Fox Broadcasting does not support 720P or 1080i yet. Dammit.
For those who don't have HDTV, 480i is what your DVD player and interlaced television displays, and 480p is what a good line doubler or progressive scan DVD player will produce on a digital television. So this is a preview of the DVD, and it puts to rest the ridiculous notion that the DVD transfers have not been done yet for Episode 1.
And while I am sure that the picture will look good, I'll use this analogy...only allowing 480p on a display that can handle 1080i is analogous to only releasing the widescreen version of the movie in VHS.
IMO.
- Steve

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Well it looks as if the transfer of the film is complete, so my guess is that we will just be waiting for them to finish pressing the disc, right? Well maybe not, but to say that I am excited to hear the transfer might be a bit of an understatement. I hate having to watch this film on VHS with stereo sound, it's just not the same movie experience as hearing the pods go racing by in 7.1 audio (even though I will be limited to 5.1 at home). The only downside that I am really worried about will be having to watch the film cut and edited for commercials
frown.gif
. Thanks, Chris
------------------
Home Theater: http://www.ig-88.net

Frank

Stunt Coordinator
The FoX 480P broadcast should look better then the DVD. The DVD format has to be NTSC compliant 480i. ATSC standard 480P should have a higher vertical resolution then DVD because 480i has to be vertically filtered to reduce interlace artifacts while 480P does not.
------------------
Frank
Join the Home Recording Rights Coalition.
http://www.hrrc.org/

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
We really don't need that kind of feedback in this thread, John.
- Steve

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I don't think they'll crop it, Lucas would have a FIT because if he had his way, none of his films would EVER be pan&scanned. Anyone in Philly w/ a set and sound system want to invite this poor messenger over? :)
Jeff Kleist

Chris Moreau

Stunt Coordinator
Frank,
I've read before that DVD transfers are filtered to reduce interlace artifacts, thus reducing vertical resolution; however, I've no idea what that really means. Since you brought it up, earlier, I was wondering if you might be able to explain it a bit further.
Thanks,
Chris

Jon Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, this is pretty cool info! If my Teleman HiPixx board comes in this week as promised, I shouldn't have any problem having all the bugs and glitches sorted out by then; this is one of the things that would be worth saving on the 120GB drive array in my HTPC, shouldn't run over 15GB or so, maybe not that much since it will be SDTV instead of HDTV. It will certainly look better than the laser disk.
Regards,
Jon

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
This is sounding good. I just got Time Warner Cables HD Cable box yesterday(Scientific Explorer 2000HD). We get Raleigh CBS, Raleigh Fox, HBO-HD and SHO-HD on digital cable here. YEAH! I get to see the SuperBowl in High-Def!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks