What's new

Pre-pro that will meet my speaker needs (1 Viewer)

John Beavers

Second Unit
I've got at center with a 32Hz - 25 kHz range, mains at 35hz - 25khz. And rears that will be most likely be in those ranges too. I want to utilize the full frequency range on these speakers and send the balance to the Velodyne HGS-12. Which pre-pro has the crossover secletion bandwidth to let me do this?

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
John,

There are several processors out there that will let you set an individual or global crossover real low (like 40 Hz or less). The problem is, with most processors, setting a crossover that low for the subwoofer will also cause a siginificant portion of any present LFE (.1) channel (as in DD5.1, DTS, etc.) to be lost above the sub's crossover setting.

So, you have two options I could come up with. The first option would be to purchase a Lexicon MC-12 or MC-12B (balanced version). The MC-12 has separate LFE and subwoofer outputs that can be configured to let you accomplish exactly what you are requesting.

The second option would be to purchase any of a number of high-quality processors and set a crossover of 80 Hz. After all of the debates about crossovers, this is still one of the best ways to configure a HT system.

BTW, most posts about the frequency response of speakers would tell you that you probably don't have much output with your speakers at the low end of their frequency range (32-35 Hz). An interesting rule of thumb I have seen posted is to set a crossover to double the -3 dB point of your speakers. In your case, assuming that the low end response is truly at -3 dB, this guideline would yield 65-70Hz, not very far from the 80 Hz standard.

Michael

John Beavers

Second Unit
Michael,

Thanks for the info. I have the B&K Ref50 on order, and though it does have varible slope settings that can extend the 80Hz crossover setting I would use, it doesn't have the 40Hz setting I was looking for. But as you say, 80Hz is probably the optimum way to go anyway. And though I would love to have the new MC-12, it's cost prohibitive for me at this time.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
The new Aragon Stage One can be set from 25Hz-120Hz. I have the Acrobat manual for the Aragon if you want to read through it. E-mail me and I'll send it to you.
I can sell you my Act-3. Which has been sitting in a box in my bedroom for the last six months. Just waiting for the trade-up program. :)

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Theta CasaNova and Casablanca have the most comprehensive crossover options, sound great, and are fully upgradeable too.

They also do not do the LFE cutout at the crossover point unless you want them too.

Holger

Stunt Coordinator
john,

if you're looking for a pre/pro with 40hz x-over setting you might want to check out the *smaller* lexicon's as well. they all deliver with the V-4 software x-over settings by 40, 80 and 120 hz.

regards, holger

Steve Adams

Second Unit
Ok, i dont have very much experince with pre/pros, I would recommend the following, b&k, rotel, anthem or lexicon. now if cost is a concern, outlaw will fill the bill.....

John Beavers

Second Unit
And the circle, it goes round and round, and the painted pony goes up and down...I think John has been down this path a long time ago
Yes John has ;) The other requirement for my next pre-pro is 6 channel analog inputs, which the older Lex's don't have.
Chip,
I printed out the Ref50 manual at work, I'll check the manual section on the crossover settings when I get there this morning. Though if I remember correctly, 40 isn't an option.
Darrel,
Does the Aragon have the 6 channel analog inputs?

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
John,
Chip,

I printed out the Ref50 manual at work, I'll check the manual section on the crossover settings when I get there this morning. Though if I remember correctly, 40 isn't an option.
Check page 78 (if I have the same copy), in the list of specifications for the Ref50. It states that the High/Low Pass Crossover Frequency is 20-200 Hz (I think by 10 Hz increments).

Michael

Chip E

Screenwriter
Michael,

My 307 was in increments of five. I'd imagine the 507,Ref50 would be too ?

John Beavers

Second Unit
From my reading of the Ref50 manual it appears your choices for the base crossover settings are either large or small THX. Then there's the slope and room equalization settings in the 50 that might get it closer to the range I'm looking for, but it's hard to tell from the material in the manual. I would really need to have the unit and play around with the different settings to determine what's gonna work best with my speakers.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
The problem is, with most processors, setting a crossover that low for the subwoofer will also cause a siginificant portion of any present LFE channel ... to be lost above the sub's crossover setting
That would be very poor design. Sony ES receivers have many settings for the sub: Sub level, LFE Mix level (adjust the LFE level with respect to the redirected bass level), Sub High cut filter, and LFE high cut filter. If the LFE high cut filter is set to "STD", then no filtering is performed to the LFE channel before mixing it into the Sub output. Otherwise, it can be set to what you like. All of the filters (high pass and low pass) on the Sony's are adjustable from 40 to 200 Hz in 10 Hz steps. From what I've heard, the STR-DA5ES (but not the 4ES so much) makes an excellent pre/pro. You can even use two of it's amps to power speakers in a third zone playing a different source than the main zone, especially useful if you are not using the amps for the main zone speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks