Pre-pro that will meet my speaker needs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Beavers, Oct 19, 2002.

1. John Beavers

John Beavers Second Unit

I've got at center with a 32Hz - 25 kHz range, mains at 35hz - 25khz. And rears that will be most likely be in those ranges too. I want to utilize the full frequency range on these speakers and send the balance to the Velodyne HGS-12. Which pre-pro has the crossover secletion bandwidth to let me do this?

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

John,

There are several processors out there that will let you set an individual or global crossover real low (like 40 Hz or less). The problem is, with most processors, setting a crossover that low for the subwoofer will also cause a siginificant portion of any present LFE (.1) channel (as in DD5.1, DTS, etc.) to be lost above the sub's crossover setting.

So, you have two options I could come up with. The first option would be to purchase a Lexicon MC-12 or MC-12B (balanced version). The MC-12 has separate LFE and subwoofer outputs that can be configured to let you accomplish exactly what you are requesting.

The second option would be to purchase any of a number of high-quality processors and set a crossover of 80 Hz. After all of the debates about crossovers, this is still one of the best ways to configure a HT system.

BTW, most posts about the frequency response of speakers would tell you that you probably don't have much output with your speakers at the low end of their frequency range (32-35 Hz). An interesting rule of thumb I have seen posted is to set a crossover to double the -3 dB point of your speakers. In your case, assuming that the low end response is truly at -3 dB, this guideline would yield 65-70Hz, not very far from the 80 Hz standard.

Michael

3. John Beavers

John Beavers Second Unit

Michael,

Thanks for the info. I have the B&K Ref50 on order, and though it does have varible slope settings that can extend the 80Hz crossover setting I would use, it doesn't have the 40Hz setting I was looking for. But as you say, 80Hz is probably the optimum way to go anyway. And though I would love to have the new MC-12, it's cost prohibitive for me at this time.

4. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

The new Aragon Stage One can be set from 25Hz-120Hz. I have the Acrobat manual for the Aragon if you want to read through it. E-mail me and I'll send it to you.
    I can sell you my Act-3. Which has been sitting in a box in my bedroom for the last six months. Just waiting for the trade-up program. [​IMG]

5. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Theta CasaNova and Casablanca have the most comprehensive crossover options, sound great, and are fully upgradeable too.

They also do not do the LFE cutout at the crossover point unless you want them too.

6. Holger

Holger Stunt Coordinator

john,

if you're looking for a pre/pro with 40hz x-over setting you might want to check out the *smaller* lexicon's as well. they all deliver with the V-4 software x-over settings by 40, 80 and 120 hz.

regards, holger

7. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

8. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I'm almost positive the Ref50 can be set to 40 for the crossover.

9. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Ok, i dont have very much experince with pre/pros, I would recommend the following, b&k, rotel, anthem or lexicon. now if cost is a concern, outlaw will fill the bill.....

10. John Beavers

John Beavers Second Unit

11. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

John,

12. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

13. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Michael,

My 307 was in increments of five. I'd imagine the 507,Ref50 would be too ?

14. John Beavers

John Beavers Second Unit

From my reading of the Ref50 manual it appears your choices for the base crossover settings are either large or small THX. Then there's the slope and room equalization settings in the 50 that might get it closer to the range I'm looking for, but it's hard to tell from the material in the manual. I would really need to have the unit and play around with the different settings to determine what's gonna work best with my speakers.

15. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit