What's new

Pre amp connection? (1 Viewer)

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the process of getting a new (used) pre amp (2 channel) and I am wondering if I can connect it to my receiver (using the receivers power amps) until I can afford the amp in a few weeks/months.

My manual says that the receiver can be hooked to an external decoder... Does that mean an external pre amp or just a decoder? if I hook my pre to the main inputs on the receiver do you think it will bypass my receivers volume control?

Here is my Receiver Manual the connection diagram is on page 14 of the manual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
i dont think it will bypass your receivers volume control, but you could just find a position on your recievers volume control that was its maximum volume before noticable distortion and just keep it there. i wouldnt recommend it for long term use, but it could be a quick fix for a couple weeks.

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks David!

That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll have to live in agony for a few weeks before I can purchase an amp.

Thanks again!

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Troy,

I'm not sure why you would want to hook a stereo preamp to a HT Receiver in such a way (without having a stereo power amp). In fact, the only reason to get a stereo preamp is so you can bypass the receiver completely when enjoying 2-channel music. This implies the need for a stereo power amp in the mix.

Then, you will have a HT receiver, a stereo preamp, and a stereo power amp. You will connect the stereo preamp to the HT receiver using the receiver's "Main Pre-out" RCA jacks. These will connect to an source input on the stereo preamp (such as "AUX").

For DVD Surround Sound:
On the stereo preamp, simply select "AUX" as the source input. The HT receiver will receive audio signals from the DVD player. The receiver will send powered signal to Center Speaker, and any surround speakers you have (via speaker cable). It will send an unpowered signal to the subwoofer (via subwoofer cable).

This receiver is also capable of sending a powered signal to Main Speakers. But you don't want that - you want your Main Speakers to be powered by you stereo power amp. Therefore, this signal (unpowered) gets sent to the "AUX" input of the stereo preamp (via RCA cables). The preamp sends this on to the stereo power amp, which powers the Main speakers.

For 2-channel music:
Hook all 2-channel sources (CD Player, Tuner, Turntable, et al) directly into the stereo preamp. By all means, bypass the evil receiver for 2-channel - it doesn't even need to be turned on.

So, my advice it to keep your stereo preamp out of the mix until you have a matching stereo power amp. Then, you will be set.

Kevin

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure why you would want to hook a stereo preamp to a HT Receiver in such a way (without having a stereo power amp). In fact, the only reason to get a stereo preamp is so you can bypass the receiver completely when enjoying 2-channel music. This implies the need for a stereo power amp in the mix.
I know that I need a stereo power amp. I just had the chance to get my used stereo pre amp locally without the risk of getting ripped off so I jumped at it. I can't afford the amp right now so I was looking for a quick fix to enjoy my new preamp until I could get my amp in a few weeks/months...

Sorry for the confusion...

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
Troy, your external decoder inputs are for SACD/DVD-A/DVD-V source material (Analog audio input)

Hooking your new 2 channel preamp into the reciever as a source will not get the results you are looking for. Your signial will actually be going through both preamps and that's never a good thing.

$0.02

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help guys! I got my new baby home yesterday. guess I'll just have to put it on the shelf and stare at it because it's georgeous! It's an Audio Research LS3 that I got locally from a guy on Audiogon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks