Pioneer vsx-859rds amp and bass peak rlevel setting

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Slater, May 12, 2002.

1. Jon Slater

Jon Slater Extra

Im a little confused by the 'bass level peak' setting on my pioneer vsx-859rds amp.

a test tones is output from the lfe channel , and using the volume up and down buttons you move the bass peak level from -80db to +12db. It says 'gradually increase the level of the lfe channel until the test tone begins to distort'.

what exactly is this procedure doing..i cant seem to understand ?

cheers

2. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    It is using the pink noise and sending it out only to to the LFE channel. By turning the vol from -80db and continue up (or down how ever you want to look at it)to say for example setting at -5db at which point your sub starts distorting or bottoming out. Then when you are watching a movie and crank the vol. past -5db it will start decreasing the bass sent to the sub so you will not create speaker over extending distortion into the sound. I used -5db as an example because at about -3 is where my subs start distorting. All of my speakers are calibrated at -10db on the vol knob which is 75db at the seating so I generally do not go up to 15db but if I did, it would protect my subs by lowering the bass.

hope that helps!

Wes

3. Jon Slater

Jon Slater Extra

thanks wes..its a shame the manual cant explain like that...

cheers