What's new

Pioneer VSX-1022 and Windows 7 PC - 5.1 sound from stereo sources possible??? (1 Viewer)

pghdave

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Hey all, so a question here. Been pulling my hair out over the past few days trying to solve this dilemma. I have my laptop (Windows 7, 64-bit) hooked up to the VSX-1022 through HDMI to pass through surround sound. I have tested it with these videos http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-digital-plus-download.html played through Windows Media Player, and it does indeed work. All 5.1 channels work, and the receiver indicates that it is getting a Dolby signal.
However, my issue comes when wanting to play videos from Youtube, music in iTunes etc with the surround sound. Obviously, these are only stereo formats, and the receiver is only using the front left and right channels. Does anyone know of a program add on, or a simple setting in the receiver or Windows to force it into "surround" mode? Like I said, my laptop and receiver are communicating properly, but how the hell can I force the receiver to use all 5.1 channels from a stereo signal? I tried the "Auto/Direct", "ALC/Standard", and "ADV Surr" buttons on the remote. The first two made no difference, and the "ADV Surr" blinked "Cant Sel" on the receiver screen.
My laptop has the Realtek HD Audio manager, but this only seems to apply the settings the the built in laptop speakers. I've seen on other forums where people have clicked the "room fill" option to get full all speakers working. There is no option for that on mine.
Thanks in advance!

pghdave

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Can you elaborate? I also tried the "Signal Sel" button (#3 button on the lower part of the remote), and it cycles through three different Dolby modes, but nothing plays while in the Dolby mode.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How is your laptop connected to the AVR(which should be irrelevant)?...cause my older laptop, using RealTek into my Onkyo SR707 uses DPL to turn 2.0 into 5.1. Like every single other 2.0 signal since DPL was created 30+ years ago.

pghdave

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
It's connected via HDMI. Like I said, true Dolby 5.1 sources work fine, but all I want is to get stereo to "simulated" 5.1
I'm watching YouTube through my PS3 right now (which I believe is a stereo source as well) and I hit the "ALC/Standard" button, and BAM, does exactly what I'm looking for. Goes from stereo to Dolby Pro Logic II, to Pro Logic II Game, Neo 6 etc etc. Why won't it do it with my laptop??

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You didn't explain that in your original post...that DPL works elsewhere.
Maybe(but I don't know why it would matter) you have the computer set bitstream and the AVR just wants to accept it "as is"???
But anything PCM gets DPL. So if your AVR doesn't have access...who knows. Try a standard analog headphone/RCA cable?
Try a bluetooth audio connection to get 2.0 PCM???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks