What's new

Picture too soft in progessive mode (1 Viewer)

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
What gives? I just hooked up my panny 56 to the 47" and gave it a whirl. I noticed immediately that the picture is much softer then before. I checked out the convergence and everything is fine (well, same as it was). My Avia settings all seem the same as well (I also have defeated SVM and Red Push).
I noticed the colors are more accurate through progessive, and everything seems to be much more accurate, but it is WAY too soft. As I press the button to make it interlaced again the picture gives up the better colors but is instantly sharper. Press it again, and back comes the softness. I love the colors, but it looks like I am watching TV through foggy glasses.
Any recommendations? Otherwise I will return it and live with interlaced...

J

John Morris

Dwight: What are you other settings on the RP91?
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, it is the RP56, not the 91. The only thing I changed was set black to blacker, instead of lighter I think... Other then that, it's stock.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
You may have stumbled into something that no one is paying attention to as they go from interlaced to progressive signals. The bandwidth requirements in the signal path almost double when you go 480P. On most displays that's not a problem, but I think we'll start seeing that a few, especially those that have to use an ADC in their input processing, are going to have bandwidth problems at 480P compared to 480I.
However, the more likely scenario is that the sharpness control is not appropriately set for the 480P signal. It won't necessarily be the same setting as for 480i.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

CaspianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moe
Typically the P signal should be much smoother than i. The i signal has more apparent shrpness than P, but P should provide you a better pic overall. It is a matter of time that you will appreciate P.

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I think you guys might be on to something. I went through the patterns in VE tonight and ended up increasing my sharpness control a bit. After going back and forth several times between interlaced and progressive, I think I am starting to appreciate the accuracy of progressive. At least one movie I tested, Toy Story 2, I still like the added sharpness.
I will force myself to watch some extra movies over the weekend so I can make an educated decision
smile.gif
. I still do believe that I need to increase the overall sharpness of my set a bit (how, I have no idea), but overall I am becoming a bit more pleased. Especially in darker movies like Mystery Men and Starship Troopers, there is much less digital noise.
Thank you guys for your replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks