What's new

phono pre-amp (1 Viewer)

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Suarav and Ryan for answering my question.

I am in the market for a new reciever and now I know I should look into one with a phono pre amp. Incidentally I tried plugging in my turntable into another input into my dying reciever and as you said it didn't work. It sounded very low.

Thanks again, at least know I know why it doesn't work.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I'm almost certain that the $25 Radio Shack preamp will be better than any phono stage built into a modern mid-fi receiver. Receiver's from the 70s had much better phono stages than modern receivers, because many more people listened to LPs back then. I've used the phono stage in some 70s equipment, and I think the RS unit is better.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if there's some way to hook up an AC-to-DC adapter power supply to the "little rat" ?
I was always intrigued by how well this stage was received by the "tweako" crowd with their $1000+ turntable rigs.
But I admit too, the battery thing scares me. (Although, does take care of any "crap" from your AC line. :) )

Andrew Beck

Stunt Coordinator
it wouldn't be real hard to rig an AC/DC converter... you can buy commercial AC -> 9V DC converters... the problem would be making it look neat.

what would be better would be a way to figure out how to hook up the on/off switch to come on/off when the reciever is switched to AUX on the pre-amp.

I've found a couple plans for DIY pre-amps... they look pretty easy, anyone ever done it?

BruceD

Screenwriter
The real benefit to the little rat is the "BATTERY" power.

It isolates the TT from any electrical 60Hz hum from an outlet. This is it's best feature (cleaner sound from your TT) IMHO.

I'm not sure what hooking it up to a wall wart power supply will do as far as degrading it's capability.

BruceD

Andrew Beck

Stunt Coordinator
I may pick up the little rat sometime next week and see how it sounds... if i like it well enough maybe it will do... i've got to finish my flexy and put in my new cables first though...

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Bruce- Aahh, I'd be running the AC-to-DC converter from balanced AC anyway... :)
My problem with battery power is that as a "9V" battery dies, the voltage gradually decreases. I don't think I would want to know its effects on sound quality...

joe goswami

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Goswami
I have a Dual CS515 circa 1985 table that's connected to my phono stage of a Denon AVR-1802. Aside from a ground loop problem generating from the turntable/cartridge combo, its a decent phono stage for an A/V receiver.

Back in the good ol' days of stereo, I was running an Adcom GFP-345 preamp with an Adcom GFA-545II (now replaced with a GFA-555II). This was a killer setup for budget audiophiles!! The preamp had an optional phono stage which plugged into the preamp's PCB. It was a quiet clean sounding system. When I had my Denon AVR-1400, I compared phono stages and still preferred my Adcom's sound. Well I've since gotten rid of the preamp and am using my present Denon receiver's phono stage.

Bottom line - Why aren't ALL reciever manufacturer's including phono stages with their products?

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Here is another endorsement for the little rat. I love that thing. As long as you remember to switch it off, the battery lasts quite a while, and its very easy to change. Its dead quiet. It takes up very little space. In short, the little rat is the bomb.

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
I guess it's a bit late to suggest that you not buy a receiver without a phono stage. You'll have to buy a preamp now. I think Radio Shack has them for $25.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks