1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

phone company says my friend cant use a cordless phone!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Len Cheong, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

I have a friend who just moved in and whenever he gets a call there's a fax tone that comes on intermittently while he's talking to the caller. So he called the phone company and the guys says he's got some kind of interference and therefore can't use a cordless phone. Has this ever happened to anybody?

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Haven't heard this before, but I bet that a digital 2.4 Gig phone would be fine.

3. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Hmm, that sucks. I never heard of this problem.

4. Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel Stunt Coordinator

A few years ago, I would get these mysterious phone calls in which I could hear one side of a conversation, but I couldn't talk to them. If I hung up my phone, the call would stay active on my line. After enduring a number of these calls, I started to pay attention to the calls to listen for clues as to where they were coming from. Putting bits and pieces together, I was able to figure out these calls were coming from neighbors of my parents ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COUNTRY! As best we were able to figure, their portable phone was triggering my parents' portable phone to dial my number, and their conversation would skip 3,000 miles!

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

6. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Phone companies lie.
    They always want to place the blame on the customer. Every time I have a problem with my line, it's, "Oh, you have faulty equipment. Go buy a new phone", or, "Something is wrong with the lines inside your house. We can fix it, but it will cost $80 an hour."
    It's never been my wiring or my equipment. Before calling these bozos, I always take a basic set out to the phone interface on the side of my house and hook it up with alligator clips to prove that it's their problem. Then when I call, I can safely get into an argument with the phone company rep knowing I'm right.
    So, here's what you do: Tell your friend to unplug his cordless phone and plug a standard, cheap wired phone in it's place. If he still has the problem, it's probably the phone company.

7. Aaron_Morris

Aaron_Morris Stunt Coordinator

I think not. 2.4 Ghz phones are more interferance friendly than say 900 Mhz. The 2.4 Ghz freq is up with microwaves and other house hold appliances.