What's new

phone company says my friend cant use a cordless phone! (1 Viewer)

Len Cheong

Second Unit
I have a friend who just moved in and whenever he gets a call there's a fax tone that comes on intermittently while he's talking to the caller. So he called the phone company and the guys says he's got some kind of interference and therefore can't use a cordless phone. Has this ever happened to anybody?

Mario Bartel

Stunt Coordinator
A few years ago, I would get these mysterious phone calls in which I could hear one side of a conversation, but I couldn't talk to them. If I hung up my phone, the call would stay active on my line. After enduring a number of these calls, I started to pay attention to the calls to listen for clues as to where they were coming from. Putting bits and pieces together, I was able to figure out these calls were coming from neighbors of my parents ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COUNTRY! As best we were able to figure, their portable phone was triggering my parents' portable phone to dial my number, and their conversation would skip 3,000 miles!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I have a friend who just moved in and whenever he gets a call there's a fax tone that comes on intermittently while he's talking to the caller. So he called the phone company and the guys says he's got some kind of interference and therefore can't use a cordless phone. Has this ever happened to anybody?
Wierd, does your friend have a computer on the same line? Is it left on all the time? If so, my guess is: the computer is set to auto answer. So, when your friend gets a phone call, answers it, the computer keeps trying to pick up the line and sends a handshake to detect a modem signal. When it doesn't hear one, it hangs up, then tries again.

Thats just a guess, of course. I have no idea what your friends setup is.. I haven't talked to him in months.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Phone companies lie.
They always want to place the blame on the customer. Every time I have a problem with my line, it's, "Oh, you have faulty equipment. Go buy a new phone", or, "Something is wrong with the lines inside your house. We can fix it, but it will cost $80 an hour."
It's never been my wiring or my equipment. Before calling these bozos, I always take a basic set out to the phone interface on the side of my house and hook it up with alligator clips to prove that it's their problem. Then when I call, I can safely get into an argument with the phone company rep knowing I'm right.
So, here's what you do: Tell your friend to unplug his cordless phone and plug a standard, cheap wired phone in it's place. If he still has the problem, it's probably the phone company.

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator

I think not. 2.4 Ghz phones are more interferance friendly than say 900 Mhz. The 2.4 Ghz freq is up with microwaves and other house hold appliances.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks