What's new

Philips DVDR75 Recorder Problems: Please help (1 Viewer)

Robert Baughey

Auditioning
First time here, so I hope I am asking this in the right forum.

I have a Philips DVDR-75.

I am getting the following error messages AFTER I make a recorded copy onto a blank TDK disk:

"Disc contains unknown data".

The above happened after I added the 6th Perry Mason TV story to the disk, using the M6 recorded mode (which gives me 6 hours). The Mason series only runs 42 minutes.

Everything was going fine until I got near the end. This is the THIRD time this has happened in 50 disks. And all the time it was with multiple recordings from the same series.

I also lost a disk with Leave it to Beaver broadcasts.

Another error I have gotten is "Cannot read" after I recorded a bunch.

Is my Philips over heating??

I paid $450 new. If there a better model for DVD+R's?

I also use this in conjunction with a Replay 5040 model (which cuts the commercials out).

Hope someone can help.

PS: Anyone have a chat link for Philips Support?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yeah those Philips have problems that cause discs to become unreadable. I would advise you to return it and get a Panasonic model.

Robert Baughey

Auditioning
I understand that the Panasonic brand does not support DVD+R, and that they are still pushing the DVD-R format.

Have you owned the Philips DVDR75?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Are you recording to the one time +R or the re-writable +RW?

Tough call though..I know pretty much every brand of recorder has it's share of hiccups with both name brand and no-name brand discs.

I haven't recorded multiple shows to one disc yet, but I soon will when I record all my daughters Wiggles episodes from my Directivo to a +R disc. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Also, are you going through the finalizing stage when you're done with the disc?

Maybe you can list the steps you've taken to make that Mason disc so we can investigate further.

If you've made 47 good discs (of 50)so far, there's no reason to return it for a Panasonic, that's just ridiculous. Hell the Panny's have had a bunch of problems of their own..just check out DVDRhelp.com and AVS to see what I mean.

Oh and Panny doesn't support +R only the Philips and RCA and Apex do so far. They won't even paly +R 99% of the time.

Robert Baughey

Auditioning
I purchased my first Sony 7000 Player in 1997 and have over 3000 DVDs in my library. I own an Hitachi 60" and have been very happy with everything. But from 1997 I have been waiting for the industry to settle on a format. BestBuy and Vanns both told me to look to the DVD+R format (which was only developed after the DVD-R format) for using my disks for playback on decks primarily (not playback on PC's). Oddly, my Sony 7000 does not play back the DVD+R disks, but the later Sony deck does, as well as my 2000 5-Disc Panasonic.

In the meantime I have found 100-packs of DVD+R for around 80 cents to $1.00, and the DVD+RW for an extra 10-15 cents. But I chose to use the TDK brand at Costco for now.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
My opinion - bad disks. My reject disc rate so far on my Panasonic E80 is 1 out of 50 (had one today!). 3 out of 50 may be slightly high, but it certainly is possible and doesn't necessarily indicate that anything is wrong with your machine. My previous recorder, the Phillips DVR-985, ruined a dozen discs in a row. Hence the Panasonic. When your bad disc rate approaches something like this, then you should worry.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Hey Robert,
Sorry for the delay..

Seems like you're doing everything right and I too am leaning toward switching to a different brand of discs. I'd got to Compusa when they have their brand of +R's on sale for like .79 each (w/ Jewel cases) and try a few of them to see if the same thing happens. I have great luck with them. I stockpiled a bunch of them when they were on sale.

One thing I would stop doing is putting labels on them. The Philips does run a bit warm after several hours of recording, and I'd be scared of a label losing it's adhesion and mucking up the recorder. I'd use a Sharpie..I do with no problems.

Also, have you upgraded to the 13K firmware found on Philips site?

All this may be moot though since you're getting a new machine soon :)

Good luck!
Alfer

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
42 min Perry Mason shows? Ouch, they cut 8-10 minutes in syndication? TV shows from that area were always 50-52 mins.

Try using better media, and +RW discs. You can get them quite cheaply now, so there is no real reason to use write once discs.

I've got a Panasonic and Philips machines and really cheap no name media isn't a good idea with with either machine.

Dick N

Grip
Have you upgraded your firmware? I noticed there is one on there web page this often fixes bugs like this if they are well known.

By the way can you record HDTV signals from a component video input.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I had all kinds of trouble with my Marantz CDR-615 back in '96 when I bought it. It is based on the Phillips CDD-2000 drive CD-R writer.

It went through 2 firmware upgrades and 3 lasers until finally getting a drive with a fan to keep it from overheating.

European electronics can be flaky sometimes and this was an example. It really pissed me off at the time after forking out $2400 for it.

It works great now and the playback sound quality was always good but I never would've bought it again.

I'm not at all surprised to see Phillips having issues with their DVD+R/RW recorders. I guess they never learned from their CD-R recorder problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks