What's new

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Generally, I would guess this is the key phrase "keep all of us happy"
I'm fairly sure the people that would complain about paying extra to have a 'useless' 3D disc in the combo pack would outnumber the people who complain about not having a 3D at all. If they went to one package I guarantee the howls would come from all sides including those BD people who complain about having a useless 3D and those that complain about the useless DVD included.
That's leaves the choice of releases separate editions which is a significant added cost to run multiple levels of inventory - DVD, Bluray, 3D Bluray

And of course the inevitable Why isn't there a UHD option, why can't they include the Atmos track, why are there more extras included, too much DNR, too much audio manipulation, too grainy, colors not right, wrong kind of digital copy, having a digital copy at all, lack of lenticular slipcover, having a wasteful slipcover at all, ugly art work, no disc art, wrong disc art, disc art at all, poor case design, lack of retailer exclusives, too many retailer exclusives, why can't they release a 7 disc set for less than $10 which is all it costs the greedy bastards to begin with since they're making money hand over fist anyway, etc

The cost to Disney to include a 3D version of a film they had released in 3D theatrically would be negligible, as 3D discs cost little or no more for them to replicate than 2D using the existing master, A $44.95 list price that includes 3D & 2D Blu-ray, plus DVD, plus digital copy would street at $29.99 in most venues. How is that a big damn issue?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
The cost to Disney to include a 3D version of a film they had released in 3D theatrically would be negligible, as 3D discs cost little or no more for them to replicate than 2D using the existing master, A $44.95 list price that includes 3D & 2D Blu-ray, plus DVD, plus digital copy would street at $29.99 in most venues. How is that a big damn issue?

For me it wouldn't, but I can guarantee that DVD folks and non-3D folks would complain loudly about the extra cost of the useless discs whether or not it cost anymore or not. It happens now all the time even when there is an option.

The cost of running the disc isn't the problem.

Running DVD only release, 2D BD only or combo packs, and a 3rd line of 3D combo packs does cost quite a bit more than running a single inventory line of an item at the production, warehouse, and retail side.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Finally got to see Pete's Dragon on Saturday night. I didn't love it. Part of the charm in the original is the songs. They're crazy, cooky and cheesy...and I love all of it. This one is more grounded, more realistic, more...Tomorrowland-ish. That's not a bad thing; it's just...different.

The Elliott CG was fantastic, as was the movie score (the beginning felt like it had wall to wall music). The forest location shooting was also top notch and all the actors did what they had to do. It is a family friendly movie is every way. Am I upset I took 2 hours to watch the movie? Nah, not at all. But will I think of it in high regard like I think of The Jungle Book or (hopefully) Beauty and the Beast? Nope.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It doesn't appear this title is going to get a 3-D release from any region so I'm seriously thinking of ordering the 2-D release from Amazon since the price has dropped to $15.99

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
If Disney can't be bothered to support the 3-D found in my brand-new OLED television, then Jon's Wallet won't meet Pete's Dragon.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Generally, I would guess this is the key phrase "keep all of us happy"
I'm fairly sure the people that would complain about paying extra to have a 'useless' 3D disc in the combo pack would outnumber the people who complain about not having a 3D at all.

Why not, then, take a page from the Universal release of IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE? Sell it as a 2-D film, and offer 3D as a bonus feature? Wouldn't necessarily have to include a separate 3D disc, as for 2D t.v.'s they can be authored to play one eye only rather than rejecting the 3D disc entirely. The t.v.'s are already prepared to do this, just not (necessarily) the players.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've had to refrain from purchasing a number of Disney's later releases because of the brainless no 3D release policy that they adopted, including:

Big Hero 6
Frozen
Planes: Fire and Rescue ( Yes, I know everybody hates this spin-off of the CARs franchise and that anybody who likes these films apparently has no taste in films. Sue me)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
And this news sucks....

https://rahulandi.com/blue-ray/amer...special-two-disc-edition-bluray3d-bluray.html

Looks like they had plans for an HD/3D release, and then pulled the plug. GD that company!

I don't know if there were plans or not. That site/seller has been known to put up preliminary items they think are going to be released more than once when there was never an announcement or according to a couple questions to insiders even a serious chance at a release.

Unless you have something to corroborate from the Disney side that it was in the works and then scrapped I would consider the rahul site a hopeful rumor. Now as a seller, Rahul is pretty respected and other than price has always been very well thought of, but he/they have jumped the gun several times on vaporware

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I've had to refrain from purchasing a number of Disney's later releases because of the brainless no 3D release policy that they adopted, including:

Big Hero 6
Frozen
Planes: Fire and Rescue ( Yes, I know everybody hates this spin-off of the CARs franchise and that anybody who likes these films apparently has no taste in films. Sue me)

At least those three do have easily available 3D releases. Pete's Dragon is one of the first where there doesn't seem to be any option anywhere

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I don't know if there were plans or not. That site/seller has been known to put up preliminary items they think are going to be released more than once when there was never an announcement or according to a couple questions to insiders even a serious chance at a release.

Unless you have something to corroborate from the Disney side that it was in the works and then scrapped I would consider the rahul site a hopeful rumor. Now as a seller, Rahul is pretty respected and other than price has always been very well thought of, but he/they have jumped the gun several times on vaporware

The artwork looks pretty official and professional, if in fact this was a "fake." I do some graphic design and know one can Photoshop about anything these days. Still, that cover convinces me something was in the works. But, as Dennis Miller always says, "I could be wrong."

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I feel for anyone who wants the 3D version of this film. While this film and the Jungle Book remake hold no interest for me since I dislike Disney's mining of their animated films for live action remakes, I dislike it even more when Disney won't release the 3D version or releases them only into specific markets.

I thought there could never be anyone worse than Eisner was at Disney and then Bob Iger came along.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
The artwork looks pretty official and professional, if in fact this was a "fake." I do some graphic design and know one can Photoshop about anything these days. Still, that cover convinces me something was in the works. But, as Dennis Miller always says, "I could be wrong."

Much of his site has very nice looking mockup's of upcoming items ,many which look much better than the actual items that eventually get released. The site often has artwork up of an item well before the official announcement and then changing the artwork once the officials are availalble -- I know nothing of graphics nor photoshop FWIW though they usually do look very nice.

The guy/site is very reliable, but there have been several jump the gun items in the past including the Region Free Ratatouliie 3D which actually released as a Region B locked Indian disc (India is Region C) as well as 3D preorders of a couple of the princess movies that never had been rendered in 3D as far as anyone could tell ((??Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty).

I don't know if there was something official or his site just assumed -- maybe there was plans to release it in 3D though none of the other usual countries seemed to have their items listed which would be quite unusual for India to have it but not many of other countries where 3D seems to be strong -- Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Hong Kong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks