What's new

Personal HUGE pet peeve: the mispronounciation of "nuclear." (1 Viewer)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I never say "Calgary" I always say "Calgrie". I think everyone, including Calgarians, say Calgrie.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
One that bugs me is people who pronounce "moot" (as in a moot point) as "mute" ("myoot").

It's just like "boot" but with an "m", people!

- Jack

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Although I'm always bugged whenever I hear it pronounced Nuke-U-ler, websters (find it at www.m-w.com) now has this note:

"Though disapproved of by many, pronunciations ending in -ky&-l&r have been found in widespread use among educated speakers including scientists, lawyers, professors, congressmen, U.S. cabinet members, and at least one U.S. president and one vice president. While most common in the U.S., these pronunciations have also been heard from British and Canadian speakers."

Matt

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I've been mispronouncing stuff for years just to annoy people. Here are some of my favorites:

Esophagus: Eesofaggus

February: Febrahry

Chaumont: Chow-mont (Maybe just a local. The natives of chowmont call it sha-moe)

Nuclear: Atomic

Bose: Shit

Silica: Sillca

Wednesday: Wed-nes-day. Three syablles, pronouce 'em all!

Ask: Axe

Even more fun are the grunts:

Yes: ehheh

No: Ehh

Maybe: Ehoeh

And the lazy english that has, over the years, morphed into something else:

Sleepy, go away: Nehrpharliap

LewB

Screenwriter
Don't forget the highest praise you can give a performer:
A standing ovulation !

Thanks Norm Crosby :D

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I remember living in Maine, and saying Worchester for the first time.
Hehe, when I lived in Maine I did the exact same thing. Really embarrassed myself in front of a lot of people.

"Oh yeah, that's near 'Were-chest-er.'"
"Umm... that's 'Woos-ter.'"

:b oops

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
WimbleTon.

There's a "t" in that word??? The All England Lawn & Tennis Club would just about drop their strawberries and cream if they heard the way seemingly 90% of America pronounces that name.

And it's funny reading the responses so far, but I have to wholeheartedly agree with the first two instances brought up: nuke-ular and Joolery. Makes me grit my teeth. :)

Tim K

Second Unit
I thought it was "filthydelphia", that is what my brother called it when he lived there
Hey, Philadelphia is CLEAN now...he must have lived here in the 80's when it was a mess. Of course, even though our city is now clean, our mayor is now dirty.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
The one that drives me nearly insane is height pronounced as hîth. The freaking word ends with a T.

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
Since I live on the Alabama border, I constantly hear "can't" pronounced as "caint". UGH!

Also,

jewelry - "jury"
borrow - "borry"

some people accuse Northerners of saying "out" and "about" as "oot" and "aboot", but in my experience, they say "oat" and "a boat". Very catchy.

I have to throw this in, not a mispronunciation, I guess this belongs in that other thread, but at the bowling alley, one of the ladies at the snack bar is all about saying, "Y'alls's orders are ready!" Check that out! "Y'alls's!"

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
I actually think that's proper UK English: WalMart's (as in "Walmart's Store"), compare "Henessy's", "HMV's" and "Macey's".
Most folks around here who pronounce things that way aren't thinking about possessives. They randomly pluralize proper nouns, and that's all. "I wuz over down on Mains street an' I t'ought I'd go ta da Burger Kings fer some grub."

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
You know what I love using that still pisses people off?

AIN'T

I claim in my defense that it's a numerically neutral word that compress "is not" and "are not". :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks