What's new

Personal HUGE pet peeve: the mispronounciation of "nuclear." (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
God, this bugs me! People who are in the best position to know better are constantly saying "nu-cu-lar," and it seems like pure ignorance. Michael Douglas, the producer of THE CHINA SYNDROME, pronounces it wrong about five times in that movie. The p-r-e-s-i-d-e-n-t does this. Makes me grit my teeth.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
This is like the grammar thread...sure to be divisive.

Jimmy Carter pronounces it "nuculer," as Dick mentioned. The funny thing is that he is quite intelligent and served as an engineer on one of the first nuclear submarines in the Navy.

Jerry F

Auditioning
I hate this, too. My other one is "Jewlery". God help us if we ever invent nucelar jewlery.

There is a prominent jeweler who has been on the radio for as long as I can remember here in Atlanta that ALWAYS says jewlery. AAGGHHH.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm not sure, but this may now be an accepted alternate pronunciation. Wouldn't be the first time. How many of you pronounce the first "r" in "February"?

M.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Volts-wagon

Jimmy Carter pronounces it "nuculer," as Dick mentioned. The funny thing is that he is quite intelligent and served as an engineer on one of the first nuclear submarines in the Navy.
Maybe he in improving, but over four years he was consistent, or my ears need adjusting.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Some of my father's mispronounciations that drive me batty:

Phil-a-del-thia (instead of Philadelphia)
chimley (instead of chimney)
mold (instead of mole, "He's got a mold on his face.")
Wal-Marts (instead of Wal-Mart, "I stopped at Wal-Marts today.")

:angry:

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I had a co-worker that would always say "last night I went to The Home Depote". You know, nothing silent, just says it. And yes, I know it is spelled Depot.

Brandon

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
It isn't 'new-clear'? :)

I can see where the Wal-Marts comes from. It is just a multiple referring to the many Wal-Marts nearby.

glenn

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
I remember living in Maine, and saying Worchester for the first time. Who the hell would think that that word is pronoucned Woo-ster, instead of War-chest-er. How the hell do you get woo out of Worche? It makes no damn sense.

How about Wednesday, How many people pronounce it Wins-day as opposed to Wed-nes-day. Is it supposed to have a silent d.

So how are supposed to pronounce Nuclear, Nuke-U-ler, Nuke-lee-er, or some other strange derivation.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
It should be pronounced "new-klee-ar". My dictionary actually has a note saying DO NOT pronounce it "new-kyoo-lar".

One that's always driven me batty even though it's acceptable (two of my dictionaries say unacceptable, the other says it is the alternate pronunciation) is "kyoo-pon" for coupon. There's just no other example of the letters "c-o-u" being pronounced "kyoo", as in "He showed substantial amounts of 'kyoo-rage' when attacked by the 'kyoo-gar'."

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
My family thinks I'm crazy for saying "koo-pon" but, I agree, the other way is worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks