What's new

People from North America, do you like any non-english songs? (1 Viewer)

Salvador

Second Unit
When i was in high school bands like Rage Against the Machine, Live, Weezer, Metallica, etc etc pervaded my stereo. After that magical year or two i just got pretty much tired with the deteriorating quality the genre has been pumping out. Have you listened to Live's "V" album??? If you have then you'll know what i mean. Now also being an eighties music fan, one of my favorite songs from that generation is 99 Luftballons by Nena. I don't know german but that song rocks! I couldn't explain to myself why i liked their music even though i don't understand a word they were saying. While trying to conjure some sense into this issue, i stumbled along a band Japanese band named Pizzicato Five. "Sweet Soul Revue" is their hit single which is sang in korean. I very much like that song and yet again i could not understand why.

There's also the Filipino rock band Wolfgang. "Mata ng Diyos" (Eye of God) is just a phenomenal song with its thundering drum pounding and hard edged guitar riffs.

Lately, Shakira's spanish/latin(?) songs have really caught my attention. IMHO, her north american singles "Whenever Wherever" and "Underneath your Clothes" don't really reflect her own musical tastes. I think it's a marketing ploy of her record company to make her wildly popular amongst the north american crowd. She's also milking the latin/pop craze that's been going on lately. Most of her spanish songs have subtle rock elements into it mixed with her own spanish flavor. If you see her MTV Unplugged concert (imagine Britney spears doing an unplugged concert....NO WAY) she does show some immense singing talent. My personal favorite songs of Shakira are "No Creo", "Ojos Asi", "Te dejo Madrid" and "Si te Vas".

Salvador,

I sympathize...

I have fortune to know some pretty travel-happy people, that have shared some good music from throughout North and South America. I have three of Shakira's previous albums, a few Gypsy King's titles, Molotov, sugary pop singers like Thalia and Paulina Rubia, and other artists.

The unfortunate situation for any of these particular artists is that the "latin" sensation of the last couple years may bring them extra attention from the U.S. record labels. Sony Latin, in Shakira's case, (and this is speculation)presented Shakira with a chance to really hit the U.S. market. However, in order to be accepted to the masses, she made took the option of a pre-fab image(Britney), and a mostly-english album(which could pass for a Natalie Imbruglia/Alanis/etc. album).

I would not be surprised to see more artists, especially Thalia (I just saw her in a Dr. Pepper commercial) leave their past image behind for some homogenous "latina" U.S. artist image.

Personally, I wish it were not the case. I really can't admit to liking Shakira any more because most associate her as the latina, belly-dancing Britney.

Peace,

Nate

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I listen to a little bit of spanish/latin music from groups such as The Gypsy Kings and Ozomatli. I'm not real "cultured" I guess but I'm trying! :)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I have the Buena Vista Social Club and Ibrahim Ferrer albums. Also own the Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan album with Michael Brook. Can't say I understand what they're singing, although the BVSC booklet does have translations. :)

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
I only speak English, so liking a song that's sung in another language has nothing to do w/ the lyrics:)
That being said, to answer your question - yes, I am from North America, and I like non-english songs. One of my fave non-english (mostly) albums is Los Super Seven.
I love my one Poncho Sanchez album.
I have heard and enjoyed music in many languages. As long as it is performed by talented, passionate, enthusiastic musicians, I usually like it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I would not be surprised to see more artists, especially Thalia (I just saw her in a Dr. Pepper commercial) leave their past image behind for some homogenous "latina" U.S. artist image.
Considering her marriage to Tommy Mottola, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. All I know is I'd LOVE to see Thalia live - I'd rather hear the Spanish-language stuff I've come to know and love over the last nine years, but at this point, I'd take whatever I could get!

(For the record, I speak no Spanish above and beyond what I need to place my order at Taco Bell. The only line of Thalia I comprehend is "el Bikini, por favor". I love her music all the same! She's the only non-English singer I like...)

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
The only non-English LPs that I have (I think) are:

-Sigur Ros Agaetis Byrjun (Icelandic and gibberish)

-Super Furry Animals Mwng (Welsh)

I enjoy them, but it can be frustrating to listen to only because I can't understand the lyrics, but that doesn't take the fun out of it.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
German ompapa. Don't have a clue what their singing but it HAS to be good:D

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I like Los Tucanes De Tijuana, Vincente Fernandez, Nasrat Ali Khan, Takako Minekawa, I dont understand everything, I have quite a bit of non-english stuff

Patrick Cate

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a fan of several Japanese, Korean, and Chinese artist/bands. Course I don't understand what their singing about, but for some reason it has never affected my enjoyment.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Generally for me, if I like it upon hearing it, it really doesn't matter what language the lyrics are in. That being said, since I understand both Cantonese and English (and lives in North America too!), I listen to most of the 80s HK pop music. In fact, have over 300 HK pop CDs. My favorite of all time is Sam Hui (he originated the role Jet Li played in The Swordsman series) and have all his albums (the ones that are released anyway) on CDs. Right now, bidding on a couple of Japanese 7" vinyl singles of his on a Japanese website.

I knew I should've purchased those Jackie Chan CDs!!

Also listened to some 80s Japanese pop like Anzen Chitai, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Seiko Matsuda, Akina Nakamori, etc....have no idea what they're singing about, but the tunes themselves are great!!

Kevin T

Screenwriter
well, the only non-english group i listen to that i can think of right now is rammstein.

kevin t

Jason_H

Second Unit
Air - At least half of their stuff is in French.

Stereolab - Almost all of it is in French.

Super Furry Animals - Welsh-only album Mwng, and various Welsh b-sides through the years

Catatonia - Another occasional Welsh language band

The Cure - I have a great tribute album to the Cure that was done only in Spanish

Hmmm...I'm sure there are more...

Ed E Lee

Agent
I have alot of non English albums. Mostly prog rock from other countries. Alot of them have native language sung in them, but for the most part it doesn't bother me. I look at it as part of the music I am listening to. Good music is good music regardless of where it comes from.

Patrick Cate

Stunt Coordinator
Salvador, I listen to far to many to list them all here, but here are some of my current favorites:

Korean:

Jaurim/Jaoorimm

Kim Yuna

Lee Jung Hyun

Uhm Jung Hwa

Ju Ju Club

Japanese:

Cocco

The Yellow Monkey

The Brilliant Green

Two-Mix

Bonnie Pink

UA

Glay

Chinese:

Faye Wong

Wu Bai

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
As a general rule of thumb, All Heavy metal sounds better in German, russian, japanese, and korean. Romantic music is of course best heard in french, spanish, and cantonese. The only music that English does best is Rap. And maybe some country songs if they're not just Billy Joel rip-off's :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks