What's new

Peak current Ratings of Marantz 5300/6300/7300 (1 Viewer)

Rajkumar

Auditioning
I have been looking into purchasing a new receiver. My choice is between the Marantz 5300/7300 and the Harman Kardon AVR525. The Harman Kardon specifies the peak current handling capability as 45 Amps. There is no similar current number specified for the Marantz. I was wondering if anybody knows about the peak current capability of the Marantz 5300 or the 7300. Any input is appreciated.

Arup

Stunt Coordinator
You can get a fair idea of current rating by checking out if the amp is rated to drive into low ohms of around 2 ohms and what kind of power is being pumped at that ohms.

For instance, my Yamaha MX-1 amp can pump 1000Watts into 1 ohms and that tells you why it has twin 750VA transformers inside.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Peak current ratings are marketing terms, not true scientific ratings. To my knowledge, no EIA or FTC specs exist to be able to do any kind of reasonable comparisons.

Some users here and other forums have tried to do comparisons but they are making assumptions based on math formulae (which does give "numbers"), not true scientific measurements under controlled conditions/guidelines.

IMO, I would not put too much into these numbers...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Go audition them. That is far more telling than any numbers you can come up with on paper.

Rajkumar

Auditioning
Thanks for all the responses. I did audition the 5300 and the AVR 525. But they were at different shops with different speakers and to be honest I could not tell the difference as the speakers did most of the colouration. My question primarily came from the fact that if we assume that the speaker is also an inductive load then at lower frequencies i.e the bass levels the impeadence seen by the amps output current amplifier stages would be lower and hence they would source more current from the amps. An amp with poor load regulation on its supply of the output transistor stages would see clipping/distortion or some sort of compression depending on the regulator design. A supply that would have beefier capacitors would be able handle the transient load better. The transformer may not have much to do with the transient load sourcing as the AC loops would be completed by the filter capacitors anyways.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Isn't the 525 a little beyond the league of the 5300? I mean, the 5300 is a great unit (I own one), but it's like $550-600 wheras the 525 is more than a grand, right? The 5300 is more in line with the 225, which was second place to the Marantz when I was choosing, because it did not have 6.1 capabilities. Go listen to the 7300/8200 along with the HK. The 5300 just isn't in that league.

Rajkumar

Auditioning
you are right in pointing out that the 525 should be compared to the 7300.My local guy promised to hook up the setup for me next wednesday as the 7300 was not part of the regular floor demo. For the low volume levels I was listening I was under the impression that the 5300 would not be too different than the 7300.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks